Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Should I combine 2 pieces or stick with one?

Roo99

Cavy Slave
Hello there. I am in the process of building my first C&C cage (which I am super excited about!). It will be a 3x4 in 14" grids.

Anyway, I need to order one more pack of grids and then I'll have enough to build the cage. I am going to use 2 Sterilite drawer chests as my base, because a grid base would have been really expensive. My cage will have a bottom of grids underneath the coroplast to make it sturdy!

Here are the chests that I will most likely be using. However, I will not attach the wheels! The chests are 24" tall, only 4 inches shorter than if I were to make a grid base that was 2 grids high.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Should I combine 2 pieces or stick with one?

Alright, Now that we have that all out of the way, here is my dilemna: I need a sheet of coroplast that is 54"x68". My local vinyl cutters quoted me on a 4x8 sheet for $10.25! However, they cannot cut me a sheet that fits my exact measurements because they cannot go wider than 48".

My local FastSigns shop quoted me on a sheet to my exact measurements- for $32.50. So, should I try to make the coroplast base out of 2 sheets and save a lot of money, or just go with one sheet cut to my exact measurements for a lot more money?

Thanks so much! Any help is much appreciated.

ETA: Here is a better picture than the one above: [GuineaPigCages.com] Should I combine 2 pieces or stick with one?

Last edited:
I currently use two together, and I can tell you I absolutely hate it! :p I am currently on the search for one sheet myself. I feel like it is junky, even though it works fine - it just seems like it is not going to hold up forever. I keep worrying over it. Personally I would just go with the one sheet that fits!

Not to start off negative or anything ;) but are you sure the drawers are sturdy enough? I have used those kinds of things for organization before and they weren't overly sturdy and fell apart easy. Maybe the ones you have are different though. You can duct tape the coroplast together. Its more work and not as easy as one pre-cut piece. I guess its up to you. I personally would just spend the extra money but thats just me :)

The ones that I plan on purchasing I have experience with already, and they are pretty sturdy. I could sit on them if I wanted to, and it wouldn't break. I am pretty sure that I weigh more than the cage will lol, however, if I do not think that they are sturdy enough then I will return them. I may not even buy them at all. I am still planning everything out, and I did take into consideration how sturdy that configuration would be.

Does anyone else have an alternative to grid stands? I am not sure whether or not I will use a chest of drawers, but I know that I would like something white (to match my grids) and aesthetically pleasing. Thanks so much!

Thanks, spy9doc.

I have been looking through the cage galleries and I haven't found any bases/stands other than large tables and grids. Does anyone use anything else?

Also, I am in the process of trying to make a 3D model of my plan on my computer so that I can test out different grid bases. When I can make a nice model, I'll post it here.

Alright! I ordered my grids, and some cable ties. I am so excited!

Alright, I will have enough grids and connectors to make my cage, but not a grid base. Does anyone have a testimony about the wonders of grid bases? I still need some help deciding, so please comment! I still haven't found any alternative bases other than tables.

If you make 3" walls, you can use the 48" wide sheet.

For the base, if you drill holes in the storage chest and zip tie the grids base to the chest, it should be very sturdy.

Last edited:
Alright, I found what looks to be a nice cage base for only $15.99! I would buy 2 of them, of course, but let me know what you guys think!

@lissie - Thanks so much! If I do get the Sterilite containers, then I'll do that. I can't believe that I didn't think of that!

I was just thinking about it- since both ends of the coroplast will be supported, do I need to do grids on the bottom (underneath the coro)? Or would the coroplast bow without the support of the grids underneath?

Alright, it turns out that the organizer in my previous post is only 17" high... a bit too short for my taste.

So, I have found another one on eBay! I can buy 2 of them, for $66. This is looking to be my best bet as of now.

Alright, here is the deal: My piggies are currently in a 'Midwest Homes for Pets Guinea Habitat', which is 8 square feet and meets the space requirements. However, as I will not be adopting any more piggies any time soon, what should I do with it? I was thinking about using it to put the pigs in when they are being piggie-sat. Would that work? My neighbors have really grown to love my pigs, and they'll care for them whilst I am away for the holidays and such. Or would it be better just to give them my house key and have them come over and take care of the big C&C?

Thanks so much! I'm still curious about needing to use grids on the bottom of the cage as mentions in my above post.

@lissie - Thanks so much! If I do get the Sterilite containers, then I'll do that. I can't believe that I didn't think of that!

I was just thinking about it- since both ends of the coroplast will be supported, do I need to do grids on the bottom (underneath the coro)? Or would the coroplast bow without the support of the grids underneath?

You're welcome!

The coroplast will bow without the support, so yes, you should support it. Either use grids on the bottom, a piece of plywood, or a regular table.

After failing to find a cheap solution, I have decided to go ahead and order 1 more box of grids. This should be the last one! My cage is going to cost me about $130 total. Although, that is quite funny when you compare it to this $130, 2ft squared rabbit run:

Alright, the only things that I have left to buy are my coroplast and fleece, which I'll be making into liners. My grids will arrive in about 2 weeks or so, and I'll be sewing the liners around then. Yay! C&C cages are one of the best things in this world. lol

I know you decided not to use them but those shelving units are AWESOME! That exact one is supporting my 46" flatscreen at the moment except in espresso. I have a whole bunch of them along the wall my tv is on because I run a dayhome and it stores all the toys. They are very sturdy even against six kids under the age of 4 years lol!

After failing to find a cheap solution, I have decided to go ahead and order 1 more box of grids. This should be the last one! My cage is going to cost me about $130 total.

That is quite expensive. Where did you order your grids? There are cheap ones on Sears, only $17 per box. You get 23 grids in the box, so you'll only need 2 boxes for the side walls and the floor.
Floor Standing 6-Cube Storage Unit- Stor-Tools-Garage Organization & Shelving-Storage Hooks & Accessories

Edit to add: you'll probably have some leftover for building a stand if you wanted to.

I ordered my grids from Amazon, and they were $21 a box, plus $23 for shipping and processing. Also, in my first estimation I used the $32.50 coroplast and not the $10.50 sheet. I think that I'll do 3 inch sides (thanks again lissie!).

So total, it actually cost me, with tax, around $107. $130 was a rough estimation using different numbers.

I did not know about the grids from Sears. Dangit! Otherwise I would've gotten them from there. However, I already bought my grids online. Also, I am going to have extra grids left over from building my stand.

Sears was practically the only store that I didn't look at for grids. :mad: I checked Walmart, Kmart, Target... that is really frustrating. At least I'll know where to get cheap grids if I ever make another cage. Mine was a more expensive cage because of the online grids (locally they are either not safe or very expensive).

Alright, I canceled my order on Amazon so that I can buy the grids at Sears! Hopefully everything will turn out alright. The grids that I ordered were white, but if I end up getting one of them because I didn't cancel soon enough, then I'll just resell them on Amazon (a lovely new feature if you decide that you don't want to keep something).

Will those drawers be deep enough to sufficiently support a cage that size? Do you have any idea how you're going to attach the cage to the drawers?

I use these for my daughter's stuff, and it can be difficult to pull stuff out of the top drawer if there is something heavy stacked on top - If you do go this way I would suggest putting the stuff you need constantly in the bottom shelves and then the lighter stuff that you don't need often on top.

Last minute thought - you could use filing cabinets for support to your cage - if you get white ones they would match your grids, and you can decorate them so they look esthetically pleasing. Plus they will be more sturdy and functional to hold their pellets, extra toys, hay?, etc.

@schavarry - like I said in the two posts above, I am making a grid stand. I'll have lots of nice storage space too. Thank you though! If I were to attach, I would use lissie's idea of drilling a hole through the top of the chest and attaching the chest to the cage with cable ties. However, I will not be using a plastic storage chest, so I won't worry too much more about it.

Also, the Sears grids that I'll be getting (hopefully I properly canceled my Amazon grid orders!) are black. Does anyone have black coroplast? Do they make that? I'm just curious... I don't know if I'll still use black coroplast. Thanks so much!

I still have 1 pack of white grids. I'll try to sell them to one of my family members-- hopefully I can charge whoever wants them the amount that I'll need to buy a box of Sears grids.

Estimated cost: $60! Yay!

@schavarry - like I said in the two posts above, I am making a grid stand. I'll have lots of nice storage space too. Thank you though!

Sorry I just did a quick reply and didn't actually read the entire thread when I posted. Good luck getting your cage all set up and squared away!!

Just a thought about the coroplast - if you're going to use fleece liners with sides that wrap around, the color of the coroplast won't matter, and white is generally cheaper than other colors.

I wasn't going to make the sides of the liners wrap around the coroplast, so I'll just let the white show. White and black are classy together, right? ;)

Well, hopefully today I can buy my Sears grids and get some coro. However, since I don't have anything to put in the bottom of the cage right now I probably won't get the coroplast just yet. I thought about using wood shavings for a few weeks until I can sew the liners, but I really don't want to spend so much money on them. So, I'll just wait to get the coro until after I've sewn the liners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.