Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Short or long?

mac73

Cavy Slave
Our little girl has super soft hair. It is straight and seems pretty long to me (it's not touching the ground...yet). At what age will we be able to tell if she is going to have long hair? We think she is 4-6 months. Thanks.

If it already is long then she will have long hair. I got mine at around 2 months old and she had a very short coat and still does.

If its an inch or so long it'll always have longish hair, my sweet Guinea pig Teddy has hair that never stops growing XD three months marks his haircut time.

Thanks...it is about an inch or so long. I hope she calms down a bit before she needs a trim. That could be fun! ;)

your ones hair might not grow like teddys, if I left him alone he'd vanish beneath fur, just depends I think.

She has been with us for about 3 weeks. She changes everyday. I'm just interested to see what she will look like when she is full grown.

I have 1 with long hair and hers is already touching the ground and she is 4 months old. We only trim the hair around her butt so that she does not get it too dirty...With long hair you need to brush it every day or it will get tangled.Have fun..

What kind of brush do you use? Even if it doesn't get any longer, it will need to brushed. Plus, I hope brushing it will cut down on some of the shedding.

I use a Tangle teezer on both my own hair, and long haired animals. This because this particular brush doesn't pull on the hair & cause pain in any way, and prevents split ends. The smaller travel sized brush works well on a guinea pig.

You will also need a good moisturizing shampoo when washing her to prevent tangles, without any paraffin, silicones or other harmful ingredients. I strongly recommend gorgeous guineas Posh'n'Go.
(broken link removed)

Thanks HannibalLecter. I found where to buy the brush you mentioned here in Texas. I plan to get one for the piggy and one for my daughter. My daughter and I fight about brushing her hair...long, thick but baby fine. I hope this helps everyone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.