Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shopping. What do you think?

mtm88781

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I am going fleece shopping at Jo Anns tonight with my dad to get some stuff for my piggies. I am going to my aunt's house on Thanksgiving, so I am going to use her sewing machine when I am there. However, I am going to cut and pin everything together here at home, so I have more time to sew when I am at her house. Here is what I plan on making / buying for my piggies:

~~~FLEECE~~~

TEN 22" x 13" rectangles for COZY SACKS.

FOUR 14" x 14" fleece squares to make FLEECE / GRID TUNNELS
TEN 30.5" x 5" strips to make CUDDLE CUPS

TEN 11" x 11" squared to make CUDDLE CUPS. Note: I will cut out 10 11" diamater circles from theese squares.

FOUR 16" x 16" squares to make LAP PADS

~~~BATTING~~~

FIVE 30.5" x 5" strips for CUDDLE CUPS

FIVE 11" x 11" squares for CUDDLE CUPS

FIVE 22" x 13" rectangles to make COZY SACKS

TWO 16" x 16" squares to make LAP PADS

Overall, I will be using FOUR yards of fleece, and TWO whole bags of batting.

This will make:

-FIVE Cozy Sacks
-TWO fleece / grid tents
-TWO lap pads
-FIVE Cuddle Cups

I will also be using the fleece I currently have to make two piggy bedspreads, and buy matress pads at my local thrift shop. I only use fleece for my own piggies, and not my fosters, because my fosters are HUGS burrowers in hay. So I cater to there intrest, and use hay bedding, changing it every two days. Everything made for the fosters, ccuddle cups, etc. will go to there forever home with them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Make sure you check out their remnants. They are 50% off the current price per yard of the fabric you buy so you can save a bundle if they have the size you need. Today's paper has a 40% coupon off one regular priced item.

mtm88781

Cavy Slave
Thnak you fo ryour help, pinky. Jo Ann's Fabric currently has all polar and anti - pill fleece at 50% the regular price, making it 6.33 per yard, as suppose to 12.66 per yard.

Any other ideas?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thnak you fo ryour help, pinky. Jo Ann's Fabric currently has all polar and anti - pill fleece at 50% the regular price, making it 6.33 per yard, as suppose to 12.66 per yard.

Any other ideas?

That's great! If you find polar and anti-pill remnants, it'll scan for 3.16 per yard. Check the labels on the remnants and look for those with an original price of $12.66 per yard. Different fleeces might not be marked down 50%.

mtm88781

Cavy Slave
WHAT?!?! What is a remnant? Sorry, it probably is a stupid question, but I really do not know :( Where is the coupon??? The cheaper it is, the more fleece I get, the more stuff I make :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
WHAT?!?! What is a remnant? Sorry, it probably is a stupid question, but I really do not know :( Where is the coupon??? The cheaper it is, the more fleece I get, the more stuff I make :)

Remnants are the fabric pieces at the end of the bolt that they take off the bolt and sell when they put a new roll of fabric back on the shelf. Remnants are the width of the bolt but vary in length. They fold or roll them and put them on a remnant shelf. They are marked in feet and inches or by what percent of a yard they are. Bring a calculator with you if you want to figure it in inches. I've never seen remnants that are 2 yards long but I have seen them close to that. I look for those that are about 30" because my cage is 28" wide. I used two fleece pads in my cage with a small kitchen so the 36" width x 30" works good for me since my cage is 78" long.

My coupon was in the ad section of our Sunday paper but they might have online coupons you can print. Google Jo-Ann Fabrics coupons and see if they have any.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I forgot to mention, sometimes they have cotton or polyester batting pieces in the remnants, too.

mtm88781

Cavy Slave
So I went shopping yesterday, and came home with five yards of fleeec (half off) three yards of batting and two matress pads. See what I am making with this above.

I have instructions for cuddle cups and cage liners. Any good instructions (or links to instructions) on making cozy sacks or lap pads out there? I mean, for the lap pad, I was making a "mini" cage liner, with the same layers of everything. Is that a good idea, or should I make it diffrently?

Again, all ideas are welcome, and you guys ROCK. Without you, I would not be able to enrich my guinea pigs habitat like this :) Thank you all!!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
Today I discovered that Hobby Lobby also sells fleece. There are 458 stores in 39 states. You can get a 40% off coupon online.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
My piggies don't know how to use those little sleeping bags.. They only use the tunnels but they use the tunnels like sleeping bags sometimes.

They just don't know how to turn around in them and then freak out because they think they are stuck.

If you know they know how to use them awesome but if you don't, honestly, I would make the tunnels instead. But that is just my opinion.

It just dissapointed me that I spent all that time making their sleeping bag (at that time by hand) and they couldn't enjoy it.

I thought one of the stickies was a cozy sack instruction?

I've never made a cage liner but if I were to make one I would make it pretty much the same way, something on the bottom, absorbent layers and then fleece on the top. I would sew around the surface and "quilt" it so the layers don't move. The only difference I would make between a cage liner and a cuddle cup bottom would be the absorbent layers.

Think about what you naturally put on the bottom of your cage. If you need more than one layer of mattress pad for example you want to sew on more than one layer.

Of course people make them all differently.

Ash-Ro060708

Cavy Slave
For my guinea pigs I make fleece for a 2x4 cage, a grid tunnel cover, a cozy bag, a "house pad", and a cuddle cup with a $5 fleece throw blanket.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.