Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shelf-life of pellets

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
I just received my first order of KM's pellets and hay about 10 minutes ago! :)

I have a question about pellets. I ordered a 10-lb. bag, which I'm guessing will probably last my boys about 2 months or so (hopefully). Is there any need to freeze any of it or will it be fine over a 2-month period? Also, would I be better off keeping it in a zip-lock bag or plastic food storage containers?

Also, as for the hay, I order 1/2 timothy and 1/2 bluegrass. Would there be any problems with combining the two hays into one trash bag?

Thanks!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Your pellets should be fine for 2, even up to 6 months. If you're not going to freeze the pellets though, try and find a container that is light proof. You may even want to break the pellets into 2 or 3 containers. Light is one of the things that will break down the vitamin C. As far as the hay goes, it's fine to combine them, but you may want to taste test with your pigs and see which they like better. If they don't seem to show a preference, you can certainly mix them. When you mix them, put them back into the cardboard box though, not into a trash bag. Bags tend to hold in heat and moisture.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
I don't have any sort of light-proof container; however, I can keep the pellets in the dark closet... if that will have the same effect. If that's fine, would I want to put them in that closet in a tuppaware container or a ziploc bag (broken up into several containers/bags, of course).

Thanks, PM!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.