Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur shedding

missy1971

Cavy Slave
Do your guinea pigs shed hair when chasing them trying to pick them up??? or just holding them on your lap. I noticed mine do this, but I dont really see any hair in their cage.

Do you use Fleece? If not, you really won't see the hair in their cage.

Guinea Pigs do shed no matter what. In all essence, they are dusters that cannot hold the dust-- They shed a lot it.

Mainly Abbys, it seems. I have a handful of hair on me from a bunch of stuff I did today with the girls.

So, yes, Piggies do shed quite a bit, some more than others. Most furry animals do at one point or another.

It's normal.

;)

I have two female short-hairs, and they both shed.

ok I guess I am just paranoid, Ive read on line about mites and other things guinea pigs can get and losing hair was one of the symptoms. Man I'm 40 and my first pet at 12 yrs old was a guinea pig and there was no real info on them except for the orange/vit c that they need.

ok I guess I am just paranoid, Ive read on line about mites and other things guinea pigs can get and losing hair was one of the symptoms. Man I'm 40 and my first pet at 12 yrs old was a guinea pig and there was no real info on them except for the orange/vit c that they need.

If your Pig had Mites it would be scratching and losing hair in a specific pattern, not in general. A V shape hair loss on the back is common, as that is where the Piggies can get to scratch with their teeth and feet.

I am treating my Pigs for Mites now, so I know pretty well about Mites.

:)

Mine shed, and I've dealt with mites, there's a big difference. The shedding is a general loosing of hair, when they're on my chest I'm like "Dude, loose your hair much? Want some of this back?" lol but with the mites it was like "holy crap tards something is very wrong here!" He was biting and scratching and stuff.

I dont see them biting or anything like that maybe just the normal scratch,but that's it. If your guinea pigs have never had mites and you dont bring in any new guinea pigs. I shouldnt have to worry about it do I???

there's also pain associated with mites, he wouldn't want to be petted and touched and all that. Charlie bit me.

I dont see them biting or anything like that maybe just the normal scratch,but that's it. If your guinea pigs have never had mites and you dont bring in any new guinea pigs. I shouldnt have to worry about it do I???

Don't worry about it. Seriously, look at Guinea Lynx and other pictures of Mites-- You will be able to tell what is Mites and what is not. If you bring in a new Pig, you quarantine the Pig in a different cage and in a different room so any ailments can be detected before bringing the Pig in direct peripheral of your original Pig.

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.