Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

shedding

xaniandra

Cavy Slave
do guinea pigs shed like cats and dogs? If they do not, then what is wrong with my baby girl, she sheds quite a bit. She is in good health otherwise

I would have a look at this page https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html and consider the possibility that it could be a parasitic or fungal infection. A visit to the vets if you suspect either is essential.

However, some pigs just shed a lot - my Winifred being one of them. When she has loose hairs it makes her quite agitated. She will scratch a little, and not enjoy pats as much. As an Abyssinian, it can be hard to brush her without upsetting her so I just give her a wash once every six weeks or so in 'manuka & neem shampoo' from (broken link removed) . Fixes the problem right up and once again I have a cheerful Winnie pig.

You're welcome!
The good thing about that shampoo is it is designed to affect fungal/parasitic infections in the very early stages. So it stops any itchiness she may have.
She loves a bath! Getting shampooed is one of her favourite things to do. I have to take her out of the tub when I do the shampoo because she gets so relaxed that she lies down.

thanks for the info, and she is Abyssinian too, so maybe its a breed thing.(how the heck did i end up writing in orange?)

thanks for the info
Not a problem!
I still urge you to thoroughly make sure that it is not fungal or parasitic. It took some time for that to be concluded in Winifred's case. This is just to be on the safe side :)

I think it could maybe be a breed thing, because my Abby sheds quite a bit, too.

I think it could maybe be a breed thing, because my Abby sheds quite a bit, too.

I agree. But I think that it's important for fungal/parasitic to be crossed out when a hair/skin issue is noticed. Hopefully it is just abby-shedding, but it's best to be on the safe side.

her skin looks nice, no bald spots no excessive scratching either. she just sheds, we did have a very high hike in temperature, gain 20 degrees celcius in 4 days, so that might be reason enough to shed

Well that's good to hear!

Frappe's mother was an Abby, and Frappe isn't, but she still sheds lots of Frapp hair on all my clothes :sarcastic

All piggies do! Regularly brushing your piggies can help reduce the amount of hair on your clothes.
As a girl who's wardrobe is predominently black, I can tell you that it helps :)

One of my Abbies sheds a lot... way more than any of my other pigs. My long hair Abby-mix, on the other hand, doesn't shed much at all.

I think one of mine is an abby too and she sheds like crazy. Its good to know that the breed is know for shedding. Thanks!!

The Frapps have a little pink comb lol but I don't mind the hair really.

Both of my teddies come from a long line of pure breeds, so no abby lines (Bought them before I new there were adoption places near here), however they shed like CrAzY. I brush them once each day, and get a comb full of hair. It's defiantly not mites or anything as they have always been that way, but geez, my dog sheds less then them.

Both of my pigs shed a lot. My Texel/Teddy guy loses so much hair that you'd think he would have bald patches, and my Abby/Peruvian also sheds quite a bit. It also might be the climate where you live, my lab nicknamed "pigpen" at this time of year, dumps buckets of hair two times a year and then minor shedding the rest. Maybe pigs are similar in this way?

I agree. But I think that it's important for fungal/parasitic to be crossed out when a hair/skin issue is noticed. Hopefully it is just abby-shedding, but it's best to be on the safe side.
It could be connected to mites because he has been scratching lately. I'm getting some Ivermecin soon though. But, even before the scratching began, he was quite the shedder and he has no skin or hair problems. :)

Please include me in the shedding abby club! It's crazy! When I adopted Penny it was pretty bad, but once she got on a good diet it helped a lot. I also treated her with Revolution just to rule out any parasites. It has gotten way better, but she still sheds more than any long haired breed I've owned. I also get the red skin bumps worse from her than my long haired pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.