Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Shedding

JessicaSayzRawr

Cavy Slave
I posted this once I was trying to fix it but I couldn't figure out how.

My little boys are shedding really bad. I am not sure if guinea pigs get like a winter coat it just started like when the weather started to get cold. What could I do to help them?
Could I comb it, if so what kind of comb/brush should I use?

Guinea pigs can loose toooons of hair when they're shedding. My long hairs haven't been as noticeable (they just seem to constantly shed) but when I had short hairs it could be quite impressive. Brushing helps though

From Guinea Lynx:
Daily brushing with a soft baby brush or a metal greyhound comb will help remove some of the loose hair and lessen shedding. Daily brushing is especially important for long haired cavies, less necessary for the short haired varieties.

Oh my thank you so much!! I have so much to get.

Also I was wondering.
What fruits and veggies are safe for my piggies? I don't give them any fruits or veggies now because I am not sure whats safe I have given them a few pieces of celery since I got them and a little lettue but I am not sure if thats safe.

Celery if its cut into little pieces is "okay"- its very stringy which does pose issues if left whole. Lettuce other than iceberg (which is lacking in nutrient value and may cause loose stool) is great for piggies. Veggies should form the majority of the piggy's fresh diet as fruit contains far more sugar which they don't need a lot of- a little bit of fruit for a treat isn't bad though. You probably shouldn't feed much more than a cup of fresh food a day (and you should work your way up to such a quantity, assuming they're receptive right off the bat, as too much fresh all of a sudden can cause them to get the runs). Variety is the spice of life and the pigs appreciate it- additionally it helps avoid overloading some nutrients (any vitamin other than B or C which are water soluble which allows excess to be passed out in urine can build up and become toxic for example- the same applies to people ). As you likely know guinea pigs do need vitamin C in their diet so that is something to try to supplement (however, the water drops are not necessary or even recommended, the vitamin C denatures and becomes ineffective quickly and the drops can make the water taste funny causing the pigs to avoid the water) with the fresh food. Of course your pigs will always need pellets (high quality pellets make sure your pig gets a balanced diet) and unlimited hay. Each pig is different and may or may not like certain foods, or may be difficult. It took quite a while to get my pigs to eat peppers, now they love them though.

You should avoid or give only in small quantities gassy veggies such as broccoli or cabbage. Also avoid starchy food like potatoes.

More:
Basic Fresh Food Info:
https://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

Table of Foods and Nutrition value:
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Sample Diet:
https://www.guinealynx.info/sample_list.html

There is also a great link right here on this very site "Under the Nutrition Section"
Ly&Pigs has done a wonderful job at making up a downloadable .pdf chart for our private uses.
She also has a poisionous Plants Chart if you so desire.
Although the Food List is really all you need it has got almost everything a little piggie could want.

Thank you!!:D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.