Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Shedding Like Crazy

SarahRose

Cavy Slave
Hello! I got a new guinea pig about 2 weeks ago, her name is Gracy and she's shedding like crazy. Is this normal? My other one sheds but not as much as Gracy. Thanks!! :love:

Is Gracy shedding all over or is she loosing hair in a specific area?

What breed is she?

One breed shouldn't shed more than others. If you have the heat on in your house, her skin might be dry. It's also a good idea to regularly brush her to remove any loose fur.

One breed shouldn't shed more than others.

I was thinking long-haired versus short-hair. One will look like they shed more than the other.

My texels didn't shed more than my short haired guinea pigs. I think it has more to do with dry skin and maybe diet.

Is Gracy shedding all over or is she loosing hair in a specific area?

What breed is she?

I have no idea what breed she is. I've tried to look it up but couldn't find anything. And it's all over she's shedding. If her skin is dry, how do you moisturize it?

Stress can cause more shedding, maybe your new pig is still nervous about moving into your house?

Also, it seems like my abyssinian sheds more than the other two for a number of reasons:
1. Although all my girls have some white fur, she has the most so I blame all the white fur on her.
2. She's bigger than the other two.
3. When she sheds the fur doesn't usually come off until I brush it out with my fingers (possibly due to the texture?).

Stress can cause more shedding, maybe your new pig is still nervous about moving into your house?

Also, it seems like my abyssinian sheds more than the other two for a number of reasons:
1. Although all my girls have some white fur, she has the most so I blame all the white fur on her.
2. She's bigger than the other two.
3. When she sheds the fur doesn't usually come off until I brush it out with my fingers (possibly due to the texture?).
I've had guinea pigs of all breeds and there's been no difference in shedding by breed. Typically, the rough haired ones seem to have more skin problems; probably due to less air circulation on the skin with the tightly woven fur. My abbies never shed much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.