Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior she squeals for no reason and doesnt let me pick her up =[

bubble nug

Cavy Slave
Nugget my newer guinea pig of about 2 or 3 months. She used to let us pet her when she ate a bud from our hands but now she just pulls the bud away and scoots backwards with it away from us. Then if you let her smell your hand and everything and you try to pet her she runns away and hides. She is doing this scared or painfull squeal a lot just randomly even when Bubbles isnt bugging her or even near her. I dont know how to pick her up or help her in any way please help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read and help me i dont know what to do!!

Nugget is doing a scared or painfull squel a lot and for no reason no one is moving in the room and bubbles (my other guinea pig)is no were near her and she is just laying down sometimes to when she starts the high pitched squeling and i feel like she is in pain. She does it a lot and through out the day to. does any one know what it might be ?? what should i do??!!

The squeal you are talking about--is it different from the wheek guinea pigs make when asking for vegetables?

Most guinea pigs do not let you pet them when they are in their cages. It's in their nature to be afraid--they are prey animals.

I merged your two threads. No reason to have two with the same issue.

Last edited:
its not a gimmy some food kinda of squeal its a squeal that she used to make when bubbled nipped her when they were showing dominance and now she is just doing it for no reason at all. so i dont know why she is doing it i thought she might be in pain or somthing but i just dont know=[
and thank she started squealing and i asked a question specificaly for that and idk why i did but thank you for putting them together

How large is your cage? It's possible that some bullying is going on that you are not aware of.

I dont know how to pick her up or help her in any way please help!!!

Is she squealing when you pick her up or just cowering? Lightning will run from me when I try to catch him in his cage, when I finally do catch him he lets out an exasperated squeal like he's saying "oh man, you caught me" but he doesn't squeak beyond that until he wants to go back in his cage to do his "business". Have you tried putting a snuggle sack in there and picking her up once she crawls inside it? That's about the only way I can catch Cinnamon...

my cage is 4 by 5 feet with a second level and nugget is bullying bubbles more then bubbles her that i have seen bubbles just takes it most of the time

its not a gimmy some food kinda of squeal its a squeal that she used to make when bubbled nipped her when they were showing dominance and now she is just doing it for no reason at all. so i dont know why she is doing it i thought she might be in pain or something but i just don't know

If it's a pained squeal and the other piggy is nowhere in sight, she might be having pain when expelling waste/urine. Just a thought... Maybe separate her by putting her in a laundry basket with a towel or floor time alone and see if she squeaks at all so you can be sure it's not being caused by being bullied....

Some Piggies do it just out of being completely scared.. but do you take her out daily?.. Guineas run away by nature! If she is hurting she needs to go to the vet!

she squeals when no one is even near her to when she sees one of us she runs and hides but she does cower away to but she doesnt usually squeal when i am sitting by the side of the cage feeding her buds or a carrot

Maybe you should try taking her out and holding her daily for lap time.. ive read it could take up to 4 months for guineas to trust their owners!

i will try to do the snuggle sack but i try to hold her every day but she is so hard to catch and she goes under the second level and i cant get back there and i dont want to hurt her anymore if the squeal is a painfull one

My Miranda squeals a lot when she gets caught, once she is picked up she is fine. She is very vocal and lets you know when she is displeased, hungry, or just doing her thing :D

i will try to do the snuggle sack but i try to hold her every day but she is so hard to catch and she goes under the second level and i cant get back there and i dont want to hurt her anymore if the squeal is a painfull one

If it weren't for a snuggle sack or a cavy cave I wouldn't ever catch my little Cinnamon! She is so fast, and I have her brother's 2x3 cage stacked on top of her 2x4. [GuineaPigCages.com] she squeals for no reason and doesnt let me pick her up =[ Even when his cage isn't stacked on top she's a pain to catch! But if the snuggle sack is in there, she will crawl down there and all I have to do is pick it up - it was the most amazing realization, that I could pick her up without chasing her around forever...

[GuineaPigCages.com] she squeals for no reason and doesnt let me pick her up =[
Here's a pic of her in her snuggle sack, excuse the mess but I wanted to get the picture before she moved and I was afraid if I cleaned she'd run away (this is when I first made her the snuggle sack)

PS. I have devoted a pair of kitchen tongs to "the GPs" just so I can reach her snuggle sack if she manages to push it out of my reach, I pinch the material with the tongs and slide the sack close enough for me to reach out and grab it/her with my hands.

Good Luck!! :)

Attachments

IMAG0063.jpg
My Miranda squeals a lot when she gets caught, once she is picked up she is fine. She is very vocal and lets you know when she is displeased, hungry, or just doing her thing :D
When you said she squeals a lot what kind of squeal is it? it it just a normal happy kind of squeal or is it a really high pitched squeal that kinda hurts your ears.

When you said she squeals a lot what kind of squeal is it? it it just a normal happy kind of squeal or is it a really high pitched squeal that kinda hurts your ears.
Totally high pitched, like she is being murdered; as soon as she is picked up it stops. Silly Miranda lol!

A squeal that hurts your ears is not necessarily a bad squeal. A loud wheek can be painful to the ears but that's simply because it's loud and high pitched.

Then how can i tell if she is in pain or not? she squeals at the randomest times like when she was just laying there then she like freezes then squeals and stuff like that how do i know if she is in pain or not?
and what is the difference between a wheek and a squeal?

is it possible she was abused before you got her? or maybe just never held before! try making a playpen on the floor and sitting in it with her just for her to get use to you she needs to be assured that she is safe with you put her in the playpen with you and just let her do her own thing and feed her from your hand!! My pigs do not like me holding them at all and some pigs just are like that but they will allow me to pet them and sit down with them on the floor for play time on occasion i can hold them! when i first got my girl she squeaked like she was going to die but shes as happy as can be now! :)

A wheek is a high-pitched squeal that guinea pigs will use to let humans know that they need attention. Whether it's because they hear the fridge open and want to let us know that they are hungry out or just that they are in need of something else.

It's a sound they use exclusively for humans. They do not wheek at each other. It is always high-pitched but can start low in volume then rise to a higher volume as their insistance becomes stronger.

Are you sure she hasn't developed a bladder stone that is trying to pass? That can cause random, seemingly out of nowhere squealing. It can be very painful for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.