Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sexing

PurplePaws121

Cavy Slave
i'm so proud of myself! I think I just successfully sexed my four week old babies. I will post pics for verification.

Pretty sure this is a boy. I was able to get his penis to protrude.

Think this is a girl, wasn't able to feel a penis.

I just separated them, put girl back in with mom. Maybe they can be lifelong cage mates. I just hope I didn't leave the babies together too long (four weeks)...?

Guinea Pigs can mate as early as 5 weeks, so I think you did just fine. Of course, them mating at 5 weeks presents many problems, as the sow is going to be most young when she has her babies.

But I think you are fine.

Beautiful babies, by the way! And, you sexed correctly as far as I can see!

Edited by bpatters: Baby males should be separated by three weeks of age -- they can impregnate females shortly after that. Females can get pregnant at around four weeks of age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are pictures of the babes! Their birth was an accident by the way, I rescued a pig and was told it was a girl and didn't bother to verify that! He is, in fact, a boy! He had been housed with my other female for a few months and then, babies! I just posted an introduction with the rest of my story :)

Here's the male baby [GuineaPigCages.com] Sexing

and the female[GuineaPigCages.com] Sexing

Very cute! And good job on the sexing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.