Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Selling Farm Animals

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I wasn't sure where to post this so well yeah!

My local feed store sells animals. Pigs, ducks, chickens, peacocs, everything imaginable. They keep the pigs in ankle deep mud, they keep all the birds in a small inclosure, and you guys get the idea.

Now, they sell cheap fairly good quality hay. I want to buy some so I don't have to spend so much on little bags of hay. I try to avoid petstores at all costs which is the reason I want to buy from them. I buy my pellets from a non animals selling store but they are a bit of a drive for their bags of hay where as the feed store and petstore isn't too far.

Well, as you can see I try to do my best not to support petstores but my question is should I buy from the feed store? I feel like I would be betraying everything I've worked for so what would you do?

Taboo

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't. I love "farm animals" (I really hate that name which is why I put it in quotes).

Maybe you could confront them about the conditions?

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
Like taboo said don't buy there and talk to them about it. If they say they won't stop selling animals at least try to encourage them to have the animals in the proper environment.

SNAKE CHARMER

Cavy Slave
Well the care of the animals may not be the employees fault sometimes its the person who orders the animals that they sale. I think anyone working at a pet store should learn how to take care of the animals in there department but at the same time I don't think its right to tell the guy in the bird department to take care of a rabbit. As for whether you should buy or not its your choice if your really that stubborn not to buy from a place with animals then just use the feed store.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Yes, I love farm animals too. I could understand how you could find that name offesnsive but I say it as an affectionate term! :)

Well I don't think I stand a chance against arguing with them since it's agway but I'll try. Ugh, why can't people just care about animals!

Anyway, looks like I'm back to square one on buying in bulk.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
You should get more people who think they should treat them better and boycott or make a petition or something.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Well the care of the animals may not be the employees fault sometimes its the person who orders the animals that they sale. I think anyone working at a pet store should learn how to take care of the animals in there department but at the same time I don't think its right to tell the guy in the bird department to take care of a rabbit. As for whether you should buy or not its your choice if your really that stubborn not to buy from a place with animals then just use the feed store.

No, it's not the employies fault but it i is their fault for not knowing how do do their job. At my petstore the people have no idea how to take care of ANY of the animals in the store.

Say somebody is "specialized" in guinea pigs. The petstore taught them all they know (hypothetically of course), they will suggest vitamen drops (bad), one of their cages (bad), they willl offer suggestions on food (usually HORRIBLE), and on what kind to "buy". They suggest all these things bceause the petstore taught them it. Petstores (or in this case feed stores), usually have no idea on any animal care.

SNAKE CHARMER

Cavy Slave
Well yeah I agree with yeah sometimes all they have on there mind is money then again I've honestly never been to a bad pet store but I've heard of a ton. I also agree on them giving out false info for example a friend of mine got a sand-boa at a reptile expo awhile back and he'd gone to petco for pinkies the employee told him they ate minos(which is false). Luckily I'd already given him advice on keeping them. By the way I'm no gardener but you could try growing your own hay if you don't like the price(s).

Taboo

Cavy Slave
Yeah, it is often the employee's fault, and the manager. This petstore near me used to take great care of their animals. Now, they have got all new employee's and the care is just horrible. The hamsters had no water, and a bowl of pellets coated in pee that the hamsters were eating. Plus they had no toys or hidey spots, just carefresh that they hid under. And when my mom and I informed an employee about a sick hamster she was just like "oh, well, that hamster was just handeled alot earlier, he's fine, just sleepy. I'm like 'Really? You'd be able to tell that hamster apart from the 6 that looked just like it?'. At least most of the other animals had proper care.

SNAKE CHARMER

Cavy Slave
Yeah alot of times its the big chain pet stores that have incorrect set-ups but all the good pet stores I've heard about are independant businesses.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Yeah alot of times its the big chain pet stores that have incorrect set-ups but all the good pet stores I've heard about are independant businesses.
Please do a little research (here in the kitchen forum is fine) and find out about the inherent issues with ALL stores that sell animals despite how "good" they may take care of the animals or how "knowledgeable" they are.

With over 5 million (dogs and cats--that number doesn't include exotic animals) being euthanized in the United States every year simply because there aren't enough homes for them, there is no such thing as a "good" store that sells animals. ALL of them add to the animal overpopulation problem, animal abuse and animal neglect.

SNAKE CHARMER

Cavy Slave
Well I disagree with the comment that any pet store that sells animals is bad but its your view I guess. Well with the number of dogs and cats euthanized every year I guess you'll be sorta pleased that the pet store I go to doesn't sell dogs or cats since a shelter is right down the road they also recomend it to customers looking for dogs and cats then again there mainly a reptile store so that may just be the case either way I love going down there.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I guess you'll be sorta pleased that the pet store I go to doesn't sell dogs or cats since a shelter is right down the road they also recomend it to customers looking for dogs and cats then again there mainly a reptile store
There are reptile rescues in every state. There are countless reptiles released to take their chances in the wild. Most die, some become a plague on the natural wildlife. Your cherished petstore is every bit as guilty and the breeders that supply them are even worse.

I have a feeling that trying to get you to understand this concept is pointless though.

I just realized something. I forgot that when a member gets caged they are no longer allowed to post in the kitchen area. No further posts that you place in the Kitchen will be approved. I blame myself for letting this go on as long as it did.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.