Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Self Cleaning Cage... Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Is the incline of the cage really as steep as most peoples ramps though. It doesn't sound like it to me. So to compare that to sleeping on a ramp wouldn't be quite the same.....

However, to sleep on a slope or incline still doesn't sound favorable over a flat surface.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
If I do build the cage, it would be less steep than a ramp. Most ramps go from 0" to 14" in 2 grids length. (from first floor to second floor is usually 1 grid high)

This cage would go from 0" to 3" in 3 grids length. The loft would go from 0" to 6" in 2 grids length. So it won't be steep at all.

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
The ramps can be hard for the piggies and I have one that can really jump and I have to make sure the sides of his cage are higher than usual. The bottom has to be covered so their little feet dont get stuck or caught, very important and sometimes what you use for the ramps does not always stay so you will still have to have fleece or something hard on top of the grid which will have to be cleaned regularly. Too many ramps can be hard on the piggies especially as they get older. They need space to run around and you will still have to lift the bedding to wash it or replace because they do pee and poop alot as you know. Your drawings are beautiful.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Lissie, I am so intrigued by this. Are you actually going to have a go at building it? I would LOVE to know how it works!

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
I'd love to build it too. But I have so many other projects that I need to finish first. I recently converted my one bedroom apartment into a 3 bedroom so my kids have their own space. I still have to put stuff back into place. I also promised my daughter that I would build her a canopy bed. *cough* That promise was made a year ago. I'm pretty sure she would pack her bags and move out if I work on another GP project. She already asked me once if I love the pigs more than her. Poor girl...

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Wait a minute. You live in a one bedroom appartment with three kids and guines pigs with a luxurious cage? How the heck do you all fit? My dog, four guinea pigs and myself fit quite tightly in my one bedroom appartment.

You must be very efficient at using space.

As for the self cleaning cage it sounds very interesting. My only concern is whether or not the slope would affect their little legs. At the very least a "self" cleaning kitchen would be awesome.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Wait a minute. You live in a one bedroom appartment with three kids and guines pigs with a luxurious cage? How the heck do you all fit?

lol I just posted this thread right before seeing your question. I have 2 kids. The other bedroom is for me and my husband.

tilleyd

Cavy Gazer
I don't know if their mind will perceive things like that. When I had ramps, mine like to sleep on them. They also like to lay on top of stuff animals so their body is not leveled when they sleep. I don't know if that's relevant though.
Hello did you ever design and complete a self cleaning cage?

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Hello did you ever design and complete a self cleaning cage?

This thread is 12 yrs old and the last time that person was on was 2018, so don't expect a response.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm closing this thread. Bottomline, there is no self-cleaning cage -- not one that is correctly comfortable for the pigs. Sorry. Definitely don't want to lead anyone on with false hope. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.