Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Seeds

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Have any of you tried to grow your own veggies/herbs? I got some parsley seeds a while back and I planted them last week. How long do they take to grow?

I am not sure, but that is a great idea.

I tried growing herbs from seed before, it was very difficult. Easier just to buy a tiny plant and start from there.

Parsley is very slow to germinate as it can take up to 6 weeks. For best germination the seeds need to be soaked for a few hours in lukewarm water, and need to be kept moist and cool at all times after planting. It is a good idea, but just be aware that it will take a while before you see any results.

Oh poo. I can't be bothered to wait 6 weeks. They'll gobble it up in a couple of minutes!

Yep, it takes a long time. I plant all that in my garden and give it to them only during growing season. Cilantro, parsely, dill, etc.

I thought about growing my own food but after seeing how much they eat I realized I would have to remove my lawn and plant veggies edge to edge to even possbily feed them. I'd also have to stagger plantings so I always had something ready to "harvest" for them. Gave up the idea right away.

(although I am planting veggies with my human kids)

Best just to feed your pig grass and weeds, if you want something free to feed your pigs. They grow by themselves in great quantities and are full of nutrition.

I am currently growing some romaine lettuce and bell peppers. The lettuce goes ok, but the bell peppers seem to take ages.

Well yes, they do get grass everyday. Just wanted to grow my own stuff

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.