Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Second boar and sounds

Ball Lightning

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I have a boar that is 1,5 years old. After reading this site, I decided to take anther very young boar, because the older one could be better off with a pal. Ignoring every per store owner that warned not to take 2 males.

Well, the dating ritual went okay, except that the older one just didn't know what to think of it. He looked a bit startled and during the ritual he came back running to us, finding a hiding place. The coward! :)

After two hours or so, the older one started to make sounds he never made. When he was still alone, whenever he heard a strange sound (for example the sound of a drill or mobile phone) he makes a short vibrating sound. (something like rumbling I guess). I don't know for sure what that means, maybe he is just alert or uncomfortable. But everytime the young one passes him or checks on him, he makes the same sound, but this time for about 15 seconds. When he makes this sound, it looks like he moves in slow-motion, vibrating, with a bent back and his hair look be set upward a bit.

The two seem to be nice to each other. The older one licks the younger one often, and occasionaly push the young one away when the younger one over-eagerly want to be next to be the older one when the older one want to sleep. A lot of butt-smelling occurs, but that seems not more than normal.

Does anyone know why the older one makes this kind of sound and what it means? I'm concerned, because maybe the older one is making warnings or so, and maybe the situation isn't as peaceful as it seems...

I hope you understand what I just wrote, because English is not my mothertongue and some things are therefore difficult to explain.

Thanks beforehand!

Sounds like the older one is demonstrating his dominance. Showing the younger one that he is in charge. This vibrating sound is normal and is just alerting your new piggy that watch out I'm the king. So far everything sounds good.

Sounds like rumble strutting to me. Nothing to worry about at all, my boys do it all the time.

My girls do it too!

CC and Smores are the same way too.

The sounds he's making are called rumble-strutting. It's a display of dominance and perfectly normal. This is usually accompanied by low-crawling on the ground, sometimes dragging the hind-end, marking territory. They are low, long and somewhat deep, depending on the piggie.
Other purrs, (to avoid confusion with rumble-strutting) are a shorter, higher pitched purr that means "I'm scared". Usually happens when a weird noise happens and startles the pig.
Then there's a contented purr that happens during petting or lap time. Mine purr when I've hit a favorite spot and sometimes melt into a little "fur puddle" on my lap. <I'm melting....I'm meeelting...> Sorry, had to have a little "ode to Wizard of Oz" moment....hehe... =)

Hope this helped and good luck!

Yup, my females do it.

kat_0521 said:
Then there's a contented purr that happens during petting or lap time. Mine purr when I've hit a favorite spot and sometimes melt into a little "fur puddle" on my lap. <I'm melting....I'm meeelting...> Sorry, had to have a little "ode to Wizard of Oz" moment....hehe... =)

What does this sound like? Is it like short little soft wheeks? That's what mine do.

Slap, I think I call that "muttering". I have one girl that mutters constantly like she's trying to tell me all about her day. When I've stroked her long enough and spoken to her softly enough, she will drift off into that "I'm melting" fur puddle! (LOVED that analogy!)

slap_maxwell said:
What does this sound like? Is it like short little soft wheeks? That's what mine do.
It's not quite like wheeks. I agree with Denise-what you're describing is like conversation.
The "I'm melting into a Fur Puddle" noise is another form of purring. It sounds very similar to rumble-strutting, but is not a long purr. It happens during lap time and sounds very contented. Once I take mine out for lap time and start petting them, I feel them settle down in my arms or lap and start purring. The best way I can describe it is that is has a "normal" pitch, and it's not too long, not too short. Like I said earlier, if it's a real short purr that means they're frightened or startled, and if it's a longer purr, that could mean rumble-strutting. Usually anything in between and happens during lap time or petting is the one I'm referring to.

I hope this helped. Tried to explain it the best way I could.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.