Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Sebastian is going to the Vet today.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Awww poor baby. :( But, considering how he is with taking medication orally- it must be a bit of a break for you! ;)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Yes it's a little bit of a break, but he still gets oral meds too.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

piggiecrazy

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear you got Sebastian to the vet. He has to be so cute sitting in there just snackin away. That med can work wonders. My son gets pneumonia in the winter months and has to use one too. Hope you finally got to the root of the problem with your little guy. I hate hearing when he is sick. That is something if he really has been brewing something this whole time. Poor little baby. Send him my snuggles and tell him to get better quickly.
Hoping you get some rest and peace with all this too. :D

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It's a pretty cool way to give meds. I like it, my mom suggested that I invest in a nebulizer since I have four piggies and I'll probably have to do this again. I think they are about $100. The vet was awesome and I was really pleased, the two and a half hour drive was so worth it! I know this is going to sound weird, but I liked that everyone there was an adult female and that I didn't see a bunch of young high school girls working there. The staff was amazing and extremely nice and helpful. I was seriously blown away. I always feel like I'm rushed at the vets around here even with my dog.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
A nebulizer would be a wise investment for sure! I'm glad to hear you've got a treatment plan for him that will hopefully clear up the problem for good now. Poor guy, but he's definitely in good hands!

barbanderson

Cavy Slave
Bronchodilators open up the bronchial tubes of the lungs and a nebulizer is the way it's delivered which is through the air. It has to be done in an enclosure and he just sits there and breathes it and eats a little food during the process.

Now that sounds like a cool way of giving medication. I had a niece when a young girl have to be "tented" and have medication given that way (she was just a baby really about 4 or so) and that sounds like what you are describing here. I sincerely HOPE he responds WELL to it and heals up ASAP. Hang in there and keep us posted :)

barbanderson

Cavy Slave
It's a pretty cool way to give meds. I like it, my mom suggested that I invest in a nebulizer since I have four piggies and I'll probably have to do this again. I think they are about $100. The vet was awesome and I was really pleased, the two and a half hour drive was so worth it! I know this is going to sound weird, but I liked that everyone there was an adult female and that I didn't see a bunch of young high school girls working there. The staff was amazing and extremely nice and helpful. I was seriously blown away. I always feel like I'm rushed at the vets around here even with my dog.

I am SO GLAD you found this place so all my best for this being THE PLACE to get Sebastian all better again. Take care now and be rooting for you and Sebastian every step of this battle til you win the WAR :)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Sebastian didn't eat any of his veggies last night. I went ahead and gave him his antibiotics and then put him in the covered carrier for his nebulizer treatment. I went to sweep out his cage thinking I might find a pile of poops under his fleece tent, but no I only found about four poops in the whole cage. My only concern is that he is not pooping, but he has a habit of eating all his poops sometimes, but hasn't done it lately. After his treatment he had pooped a few times in the carrier and I held him for a little while where he pooped once on me. He has no weight loss, he's actually gained .8oz back.

His poop output is not what I would like to see.

ETA: I just went over to his cage and saw a pile in his cozy. Now I must be getting paranoid. This has been so frustrating.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
He's neutered, but I do keep an eye on that thanks.
No problem. I really hope he gets better soon! He's such a cutie pie. Happy thoughts I am sending to you.

barbanderson

Cavy Slave
I sincerely PRAY your ordeal with Sebastian is OVER soon and he is 100% before Christmas as a present to yourself :) GOSH I can imagine your frustration here in ALL you have done to make that happen so HANG ON the season of miracles is almost upon us. With ALL the love and good wishes coming your way, it WILL happen albeit NOT as quickly as we ALL want it to. Only good thoughts and wishes are with you at this frustrating time so hold onto everyones here at this time. It will see you through til all is well again. Here is MY fervent wish this is SOONER than later. Happy Turkey day ahead to you and Sebastian and may you BOTH enjoy stuffing yourself silly and POOPING it all out again LOL. (I hope that isn't too crass to say here openly LOL) ALL MY BEST TO YOU AND SEBASTIAN :)

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Well he really has not eaten enough today so I made a pellet mash and I'm hand feeding him. He did eat some bell pepper but besides that, not much.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
He's still active, his food in and poop out isn't very good.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
He's still active, his food in and poop out isn't very good.

Did the vet say that this could be a side effect of the new medications?

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Did the vet say that this could be a side effect of the new medications?

No, but would that mean he's developing an antibiotic intolerance?

Last edited:

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
No, but would that mean he's developing an antibiotic intolerance?

I have no idea, but the vet would know. You may want to consider calling up the vet and giving her an update to see what she has to say about the situation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.