Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Sebastian is going to the Vet today.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
This morning after veggies I went to pick up Sebastian and noticed that his breathing seemed a bit odd. Upon further listening I heard what I can only discribe as rails. I noticed his nose had clear discharge as well. He had none of these symptoms yesterday and no weight loss. He's gained an ounce since last week. He caughed as well which also had me concerned, but with the rails there is no doubt that he needs a vet.

I found a new vet recently that I had to take Ann to that I absolutely love. He's very knowledgeable and has 17 years of experience with exotics and is more comfortable with guinea pigs then he is with dogs and cats.

frankie&bennie

Cavy Slave
Poor sebastian - hope he gets better soon!

anniewntsaG-PIG

Cavy Slave
Hope he gets better soon!! I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say Sebastian is one of our favorite pigs on the site!! :D I just can't get enough of his hair!! Haha

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I can vouch for Annie when I say that Sebastian is one of my favorite pigs on this site! I hope he's okay, and that he gets better soon! He's in very capable hands, and I know that he'll pull through just fine. Please keep us updated on his condition.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Poor Sebastian. :( I'll keep him in my thoughts. I'm glad you're able to take him to a good vet!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Aww! Sebasian is such a cutie pie. I hope he gets better soon. Wish him a speedy recovery from me and my boys.

vicky2

Cavy Slave
:0
Well, you better update us or I'll virtually kick your tootie patootie! hehe
Sebastian is one of the cutest pigs ever and I'm sure many people agree with Annie on that one.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oh, poor guy. He's lucky to have such an observant owner. I hope he's on the mend in no time!

TallulahBear

Cavy Slave
I hope your little bunny pig feels better soon.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
I hope he gets better soon. He's my most favorite pig on this board.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
You guys are all so sweet. Thank you for all the warm regards!! I know I can come to all of you and you will all understand.

Now for the update. I took him in and the vet put him on Baytril twice a day for the next 12-14 days. The vet was adament about being agressive with this as he knows how these little guys can hide stuff. He will be on a probiotic as well as the vet said that they should always be on a probiotic with an antibiotic. I'm really impressed with this vet. It's a bonus that it's an Emergency office as well. I'm very pleased with the treatment and I'm disappointed I didn't find this vet sooner.

Hopefully it all works out. It's great timing because I'm going to be off of work till the 15th so I'll have time to monitor him should it get worse. Next week I will be going out of town and he will be coming along.

Any recommendations for an exotic Vet in Southern California in the Upland/Ontario area? This information would be nice to have incase something were to go wrong and he needed to be seen somewhere.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Just so you all know, Sebastian may be cute but he sure is a pain in booty with giving meds. He fights a hard fight. Don't let his sweet little face deceive you.

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Aww. I'm sure after the fight he looks at you with his sweet little face and pretends like nothing happened. :)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I don't know of any vets in that area but Dr. Greek is in Yorba Linda. About half an hour away from Upland. Not that bad of a drive.

There is one vet on this bunny list in Montclair Welcome to the Bunny Bunch S.P.C.R.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I don't know of any vets in that area but Dr. Greek is in Yorba Linda. About half an hour away from Upland. Not that bad of a drive.

There is one vet on this bunny list in Montclair Welcome to the Bunny Bunch S.P.C.R.

Thanks, I know there's a Cavy Rescue in Montclair, I could always call them and see who they use. Yorba Linda isn't that far though.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
I'll pretend I didn't hear that. LOL.... He had me fooled.

jamie15701

Cavy Slave
I am glad to hear that he is on the mend, what a great owner you are for noticing the signs that Sebastian wasn't feeling great. He is an adorable gp!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Just so you all know, Sebastian may be cute but he sure is a pain in booty with giving meds.

Sorry, but I like to hear that! If he was really doing poorly, he wouldn't have as much fight in him as he does!

Good work in detecting it early and in finding a vet who takes it seriously.

And I'm with the rest of the crew in finding him utterly adorable.

angiekay

Cavy Slave
Sebastian is a BABYDOLL...the cutest little piggy face, and all his white, innocent, flowing coat of beautiful hair........Hope he gets better soon (kisses to Sebastian)!!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
His breathing has not been noisey but his left eye is getting more crusty then his right. I have to go to a wedding today and my mom will be taking care of him. I hope my mom is able to get the Antibiotics in him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.