Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Scaredy Pig

EverGreenly

Cavy Slave
I've had my piggy Walter for about 3 weeks. He's slowly warming up and is starting to come up to me when I put my hand in the cage. Trust me, great progress lol.

I'm thinking about getting another pig because I cannot! get Walter out of his hidey house. He sits there most of the day even though there are toys and food outside. When I feed him his veggies he steals them and hides in his house.

Will getting another pig help with his scaredy/shyness? Or is it just me?

Help?

It will take time. If you use a soft bed and put him in it then pet him handfeed him whenever possible. It will help. Also not having his cage on the floor. Not too close to a tv or loud noises.
Take his house away for a few minutes while you hand him the food. then pet him as he is eating.
Let him smell your hand. Cuddle him. sing to him or read to him all these things will help him get used to you and not be so afraid. Good luck!

I have had experience with this with my first pig Pepper. She did not like me petting her or being near her. But after a lot of patience and continous attention, she finally warmed up to me and now will let me pet her. But, she became even more social when I got Molly. She even began eating different types of veggies - before she would only eat lettuce.

I would definitely recommend getting another pig. Pepper really became more energetic and friendly. Make sure you go about the proper means of introducing them! Good luck!

I have had my piggy for a month and she is doing great! With in the first week she was eating from my hand, and today was the first day out of her cage she ate food directly from me. But She doesnt purr when i pet her, she just acts frozen, or whines. Is it possible she doesnt like being pett? Or is this normal for us being so new to each other?

I've heard that when they whine while you pet them that you aren't doing it right? I have an abby and I have to pet him a specific way. He doesn't like it if I go against the way his hair grows. Still looking for another little boy piggy. GPZone doesn't even have them in my area. And Craigslist has been a no-go. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.