Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Scared Help Me!

Dumpling

Cavy Slave
[GuineaPigCages.com] Scared Help Me![GuineaPigCages.com] Scared Help Me![GuineaPigCages.com] Scared Help Me![GuineaPigCages.com] Scared Help Me!

Recently I have been seeing ants in my guinea pigs cage. I do clean the cage with dulited white vinegar. Unsure how to get rid of the ants. I just noticed that one of my guinea pigs hair is missing around the eye area. I am not sure what it is and I am really strapped for cash. I have about 30 dollars and I don't get paid til Thursday of the following week. I dont even own a credit so I have no credit history.
It looks soo painful. I don't know what to do.

Also I do see them scratch sometimes when I watch them play around or eat food.

Reading it now. Could it be mites? Or did the 2 ants I saw the other day do that?

Ants couldnt have done that, I agree with Kim37040, it looks like a fungal infection.

See www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html -- there are instructions there on how to treat it yourself. Just be careful to not get the medication into they eye. Also use it very sparingly and rub it in well with a cotton swab. Fungus is very contagious, so you need to use gloves, and change clothes after handling the pig. Wash anything in the cage that's washable, and throw out anything that isn't.

Okay I looked around for the same fungal based infection and Walmart sells it and its close by so I could by the generic brand. Okay I found it in the cabinet. Going to apply it now with a cotton swab.

Cotton swab didnt work and I wrapped her up in a towel but she kept wiggling her head as I was just about to apply. It got on her fur a little so I rubbed it off. She was soo terrified of me >.< but when I used a dabbed it on my gloves it seemed to do much better. I'll apply it when I am about to go to bed. Thank you all for helping me. Trying to figure out how to remove her from her cage mates.

Cotton swab didnt work and I wrapped her up in a towel but she kept wiggling her head as I was just about to apply. It got on her fur a little so I rubbed it off. She was soo terrified of me >.< but when I used a dabbed it on my gloves it seemed to do much better. I'll apply it when I am about to go to bed. Thank you all for helping me. Trying to figure out how to remove her from her cage mates.

You're going to have to keep a close eye on her cage mates since they could be infected, too.

When I suspected one of my girls having a fungal infection, I gave all of them baths in using the Nizoral shampoo and treated the one with the suspected case more often, she got a bath every few days the others got one or two total. I am not sure if it was truely a fungal infection but I did not use gloves... oops. The others also never showed any signs of infections, but it completely went away so maybe I got lucky!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.