Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Scared...handled a pig with fungus and then my too!

• Thread starter GuineaPigPerson
  • Start date

GuineaPigPerson

Cavy Slave
I was holding one of my friends pigs, on one ear it had what I thought was dry skin. After I researching today, I am 100% sure it is a fungal issue. However, when I got home from her I washed my hands with regular hand soap and then handled my pigs. After handling her pig I touched my phone, my clothes, etc. Is there any danger to my pigs or is it okay?

If you washed your hands between touching your friend's pig and handling your own, then I'd say the risk of any sort of transmission is virtually negligible. That said, you can never be too careful, so it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on your pigs just in case. And if you haven't yet, you should certainly let your friend know that his/her pig has fungus.

If your pigs are healthy, you're not likely to have a problem. And even if you do, you know it's a possibility and can catch the symptoms early. Fungus is pretty easy to treat in the early stages. See www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for more information.

So if I pet sit these two and wash my hands before handling mine there is nearly no chance they will catch anything?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.