Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

salt rings

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hi,
I was in a store yesterday and noticed salt rings for piggies. I don't have mine yet so I'm still researching and questioning... what exactly are these and are they recommended? Thanks =)

o0Ms Jenny0o

Cavy Slave
They're just...rings of salt. They don't need them and they just make them thirsty.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
My pigs never liked them. In my opinion there a waste of money.

4Girls
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Salt licks or rings are bad for cavies. They should NOT be given.

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
thanks all =)

4Girls
Poohbear
4Girls
Poohbear

Piglet

Cavy Slave
4Pigs, tell me why guinea pigs need salt in their diet? In the wild would they have salt rings hung up on bushes? I trust ly and I don' t think she has ever given incorrect information. Care to expand on the "inncacurate info"

4Girls

Piglet

Cavy Slave
cangirl asked a question and we replied. We gave her our answer...

This site has to be one of the MOST reliable sites on the web. I can't get onto Guinea lynx at the mo but once I do I'll tell you why salt licks are bad. Most books are outdated, how can you expect to get reliable information from them. If you don't like this forum/website then why have you posted 90 times?

Im glad your pigs have stayed healthy. Let them remain like this touchwood

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I get 90% of my cavy information from guinealynx. Are you going to now tell me that all the people there are wrong? There are many cavy experts on gl that have had pigs for years. I trust gl more than I trust ANY other site on the internet when it comes to what is good or not good for piggies.

Here are some things that those folks have to say about salt wheels/salt licks.
They can actually make a pig potentially hypertensive and can completely imbalance a decent diet. (courtesy of Josephine who has extensive medical knowledge of cavies)

The only thing you'll do with a salt lick is dehydrate your pig. (courtesy of ChadWPB)

They could OD on salt (they get it in their pellets as well) and it could cause more health problems. (courtesy of HollyT)

It's extremely hard on their kidneys and they can get serious complications from the excess sodium. (courtesy of Evangeline)

Shall I keep going? If you want to listen to your vet, by all means go ahead. But I also would like to know all the "inacurrate info" that I am giving.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
why is 4girls name in blue?

Poohbear

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Nope, her name is in blue because she is still awaiting email confirmation. At least that's what it says in the user manager. Usually you can't post unless you confirm your account.

Poohbear

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
I use a mineral (brown) salt wheel in my cage. Why are they bad for piggies? I didn't know this. My vet told me the salt wheels provide a vitamin/mineral supplement that they don't get from pellets.

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
WOW...I have 4 kids, a cat, a dog, and a hamster and it seems that the GP will be more complicated than all of them. Actually, I think this site is amazing. Before I came in here I had never heard of a C&C cage and I am definitely building one for our new piggies. I just hope I don't cause debates like this with every question. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.