Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Sale on fleece!

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to let everyone that use fleece to know that Wal-mart is doing the end of the season sales. Seeming as though fleece is a winter item, most of it was on sale already and an additional 50% off. I got 6yds of one pattern for $2.10 and 6yds of another for $3.30. I am elated :D. My girls may have the same pattern but laudry days will not be so rushed anymore.

pringles70

Cavy Slave
Our walmart here just did away with fabric completely. Apparently every store in most markets is going to do that. The department is going to turn into a miniature party city type area.

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Our walmart here just did away with fabric completely. Apparently every store in most markets is going to do that. The department is going to turn into a miniature party city type area.

I wonder if that's why it's all so cheap then? Well I guess I will go back and buy some more before it's all gone.

bluezee

Cavy Slave
Our Walmarts still have fabric, but the fleece wasn't on sale. I'll keep an eye on it though.

new piggie

Cavy Slave
I don't know that they are going to take the fabric section out. All I know is that the winter patterns/fabrics were on sale. For all I know maybe its just wasn't selling (we are in New Orleans it doesn't really get that cold). Well for whatever reason it was on sale I got a great deal!

B&DGP'S

Cavy Slave
We went to Jo-Ann Fabrics here is Minnesota, and they are having a 40% off sale on no-pill fleece. It is the end of the season, so the price is very reasonable. We bought one piece for our 2x4 C&C cage bedding, two pieces to make lap pads, and another piece to make each of our two girls a cozy/sleeping bag. We bought baby lap pad material to sew inside the two layers of fleece for the lap pads, and that was the most expensive piece of fabric that we bought.

We also purchased a vinyl material to line the coroplast with as a barrier to use under the towels. Not sure if it is necessary, but it does keep the urine from soaking through the towels to the coroplast. Was this necessary?

My daughter likes pink, so we bought a a lot of pink, and pink/white. After using the one piece as bedding, I would suggest a darker color to keep it looking fresher. The hay sticks to it, and a darker color could hide the hay. We went 4 days in between washing, and it was time to change it (we have two baby girls).

Has anyone heard of using vinegar in the washer to help with odor? Do you add it to the wash cycle or the rinse cycle?

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
I think its the rince cycle. You're supposed to add it when you would normally add the softener. I use like a 1/4 of a cup or so. It acts as a softener.

Also I vacumn the piggy cage to keep down the smell :)

new piggie

Cavy Slave
After using the one piece as bedding, I would suggest a darker color to keep it looking fresher. The hay sticks to it, and a darker color could hide the hay.

I agree with the darker colors keep it looking fresher. That is the only thing about the sale items. The patterns they have were really light colors. Luckily my girls are potty trained and I don't have much of the sparatic poop all over the place. I used the bottom of the store bought cage for kitchen and potty area, so the most work I have to do is dump it out and add fresh bedding and hay. I do that 2 times a day and sometimes only have to do it once a day if I am lucky.

B&DGP'S

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info!

I think its the rince cycle. You're supposed to add it when you would normally add the softener. I use like a 1/4 of a cup or so. It acts as a softener.

Also I vacumn the piggy cage to keep down the smell :)

B&DGP'S

Cavy Slave
Thanks!

Do you use CareFresh or Aspen in the potty and kitchen areas? Is one better than the other for smel/odor control?

I agree with the darker colors keep it looking fresher. That is the only thing about the sale items. The patterns they have were really light colors. Luckily my girls are potty trained and I don't have much of the sparatic poop all over the place. I used the bottom of the store bought cage for kitchen and potty area, so the most work I have to do is dump it out and add fresh bedding and hay. I do that 2 times a day and sometimes only have to do it once a day if I am lucky.

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Do you use CareFresh or Aspen in the potty and kitchen areas? Is one better than the other for smel/odor control?

I use CareFresh. I can't say either is better because I have only ever used CareFresh and Pine Shavings (when we were out of town and it was horrible). The smell on the other hand I haven't had problems since I have changed to this new set up. You can see the store bought cage bottom, to the left of the picture.

B&DGP'S

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. I love your cage!

How do you know when to take out the hay that falls down into the bedding? Our girls poop a lot in there, and they seem to like only certain parts of the hay. They usually leave the thicker longer pieces, and go for the flowers/tassel part. Then there is the poop issue-soiled hay.

We have a cat litter box (small) under the hay rack, and they like to move it out of the way and eat back behind it.

The other problem we seem to be having the last day or so is that they are starting to "fight" over who gets to sit in the litter pan and eat from the rack, and who has to sit behind and forage on the floor for the hay that drops. Should we get a second hay rack and little pan so that they each have their own area?

I use CareFresh. I can't say either is better because I have only ever used CareFresh and Pine Shavings (when we were out of town and it was horrible). The smell on the other hand I haven't had problems since I have changed to this new set up. You can see the store bought cage bottom, to the left of the picture.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I found fleece on clearance today at Wal-Mart for $2.00 a yard. I bought the remaining two bolts of fleece they had at this price. There were 5 yards on each bolt. I not only use it for the piggers but for the ratties as well.

new piggie

Cavy Slave
I found fleece on clearance today at Wal-Mart for $2.00 a yard. I bought the remaining two bolts of fleece they had at this price. There were 5 yards on each bolt. I not only use it for the piggers but for the ratties as well.

Nice Ly, but it wasn't also 50% off? Or does your price include the 50%. I was happy to find it on sale. I changed my girls cage out today with one of the patterns. lol

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. I love your cage!

How do you know when to take out the hay that falls down into the bedding? Our girls poop a lot in there, and they seem to like only certain parts of the hay. They usually leave the thicker longer pieces, and go for the flowers/tassel part. Then there is the poop issue-soiled hay.

We have a cat litter box (small) under the hay rack, and they like to move it out of the way and eat back behind it.

The other problem we seem to be having the last day or so is that they are starting to "fight" over who gets to sit in the litter pan and eat from the rack, and who has to sit behind and forage on the floor for the hay that drops. Should we get a second hay rack and little pan so that they each have their own area?

I have found that Gina seems to think everything is hers, therefore I just put more hay in the kitchen and another in an old basket I had. Semaj has claimed the basket and Gina keep her place in the kitchen as long as Semaj doesn't touch it. It works for now but I don't know if it will continue. Thank you for the compliment. I have come a long way!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.