Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Saftey of cotton fluff bedding

animallover2036

Cavy Slave
Hi all, I recently bought my two piggies (Tador and Brownie) a carboard tunnel that they can run through. Tador is my older guy and he could care less but my new little piggy Brownie loves to run through it and started popcorning after he explored his new toy :) It came packaged with some "bedding" that looks like cotton. It says it helps encourage the natural bedding instincts of rodents. I was worried about it so I didn't put it in the cage...has anyone else ever used this? There was quite alot of the bedding I was worried they would get tangled in it or possibly eat it. Is this a safe thing for guinea pigs to have?

Is it like the nesting bedding often advertised for hamsters? Then you're correct it shouldn't be used, as it can cause internal blockage if ingested.
It can also wrap around their tiny toes & nails and cause damage & infections. I wouldn't even use it for hamsters or mice, shredded paper is much safer for them.

Guinea pigs love eating their bedding, it doesn't sound safe to eat.
Maybe try using shredded news paper, (Not sure where you live, but here in Australia we use a type of non-toxic ink made from some sort of plant that is 100% piggy safe.)
Also, cotton sounds like a terrible bedding, it would just absorb the pee.

Thanks all :) I really didn't think it was a good idea but just wanted to make sure and see if anyone else had used it. It is just like the nesting bedding for hamsters and @ HannibalLecter I was worried that their feet would get tangled :( I love the actual tube and I just threw the fluff away :love:

I always just throw it away.

Guinea pigs don't nest, and don't need that stuff. I just pitched mine into the garbage.

Guinea pigs aren't like rodents in many ways. They aren't as flexible, they are adorably fat, and they don't nest. The cotton is really bad because they like to test chew everything. I would toss the cotton but keep the toy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.