Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Safe woods

Winnie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

daftscotslass

Well-known Member
Cavy Slave
Joined
May 25, 2005
Posts
3,071
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
3,071
MDF is DEFINITELY not OK! It it made from wood fibres glued together and it is full of chemicals. It is even dangerous for humans to use as it contains chemicals that can seriously irritate the lungs. So, it's not something that's appropriate for piggies to gnaw on.
 
Winnie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

amfeider

Well-known Member
Cavy Slave
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Posts
573
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
573
Winnie if you are talking about making a loft out of wood then dont wood is not a good material to build anything in piggie cages. for a loft use cloropast or girds covered with fleece or other padding make the ramp out of recycled corregated tubing but please dont use wood.
 
Winnie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Joined
Sep 5, 2004
Posts
8,865
Joined
Sep 5, 2004
Messages
8,865
If the MDF is new you must remove it. It is releasing toxic fumes.

I used a very old piece of MDF for my loft. It is old enough that the fumes are gone. I also covered it completely with vinyl tiles to keep the pigs from chewing on it and to protect it from pee and moisture...moisture (especially urine) will produce even more toxic fumes.

All edges of the board in my cage are protected and out of reach of the GPs' teeth. It is poisonous so they ABSOLUTELY must not be able to chew on it.
 

amfeider

Well-known Member
Cavy Slave
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Posts
573
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
573
even though you made it dont put it in your piggies cage
 

RubyPiggie2

Well-known Member
Cavy Slave
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Posts
1,820
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
1,820
It dosen't matter if you already made it, it's your fault for not checking to see if it was good for piggies before hand. Don't use it, it's very harmful for your pigs. Want them to suffer from all the toxins in it, and possibly die? Please don't use it.. You've already had valuable advise given to you.
 
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Similar threads

Top