Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Safe Way to Get Rid of Mice That Won't Bother Guinea Pig

myguys

Cavy Slave
I have no idea which forum to post this in! So sorry!
I keep seeing mice around my Guinea Pig cage. He doesn't seem to mind cause one time I walked in there and the mouse and my Piggy were laying practically nose-to-nose, looking at one another...but I mind!No way I will use traps or poison or anything like that. I've been researching some natural methods, but I'm wondering if even they will bother my Piggy since he's a rodent,too! Anybody know?
Does anybody have any methods they swear by? A method that works as well as the white vinegar you told me about for ants!
Thank you!

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
Where is your piggie that mice are getting in to him? If he's inside your home, you can sprinkle used cat litter (yes, used-as in wet from cat urine) around the outside of your house. The smell goes away in about a day to us humans, but mice can smell it much longer, and avoid those areas. They should stop coming in to the house then. As long as the cat litter isoutside, and the piggie inside, it should be OK. You can also try some cat hair, but it's not as effective.

myguys

Cavy Slave
THANKS,Petlovr!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Where is your piggie that mice are getting in to him? If he's inside your home, you can sprinkle used cat litter (yes, used-as in wet from cat urine) around the outside of your house. The smell goes away in about a day to us humans, but mice can smell it much longer, and avoid those areas. They should stop coming in to the house then. As long as the cat litter isoutside, and the piggie inside, it should be OK. You can also try some cat hair, but it's not as effective.

A lot of people used wolf/coyote urine in my old hometown to ward rabbits and such away from gardens. I wonder how effective that is? I also wonder how the urine is collected in the first place....

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
I also wonder how the urine is collected in the first place....

I don't want to know. I've heard of that, tho. Cats are natural predators to mice, and wolf/coyotes are natural predators to bunnies, so it makes sense.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Steel wool in places where they crawl in. Like around your dryer vent and whatnot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.