Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rudeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanutlover

Cavy Slave
I got a very rude PM from a mod here, telling me to be more thorough on my spelling.. punctuation...like I am an Ididot and don't know how to spell? I have a problem with my keyboard, so if I caused anyone hardship reading my posts because of my grammar I am very sorry, I did not know it was difficult to read. I will not be posting anymore, I find this site very rude.

The mods would not have been trying to offend you by telling you about spelling and grammar. They tell everyone about it, because it is one of the posting rules, to spell correctly. I was told when I first joined, because I used chat speech.

It's not about offending people, it's about keeping the threads legible, because people from all over the world come on here and a lot of them may not have english as their first language and so if things aren't spelt correctly, then it makes it difficult for them to understand what is being said.

If the problem is your keyboard, just proof read what you are going to post, to make sure it is all spelt right and everything. I do.

Another thing you can do is type whatever you are going to post into a word program and run the spell check there and paste it onto the posting box. I am sure no one was trying to be rude, only trying to be helpful.

Please don't take this so personally. The board sets a very high standard for spelling, capitalization and grammar, because if they went "middle of the road", then others take absolutely no care at all, or we would see a lot of chat speak, which people who don't understand it, find very difficult to read.

This is an adult board, in which younger people are free to join, provided that they follow posting guidelines. (It is sort of like moving up from the kiddie table, expectations are with behaviour increase, suddenly talking out of turn or with your mouth open are no longer acceptable!) We have some great younger members, but a lot of people find that poor spelling or chat speak makes their eyes and heads hurt, or they just don't understand it.

It would be impossible and too arbitrary to sit back and say "this person is spelling with an acceptable number of errors, but this person crossed the line to unacceptable" In the end it would cause more problems.

the mod's here are very fair, and honestly, I did not notice any huge errors with your posts, but I have an impossible time picking up on that sort of thing. I do suggest if you have a word processor, or email that checks spelling to copy and paste all your posts into it first. That is what I do, and while it is not perfect, it helps.

No one is going to jump on you for the occasional spelling or grammar error or if you forget to capitalize a letter. Some members with learning disabilities or ESL are given more leeway provided it is obvious that they are trying. Keyboards are inexpensive now, if you can't spell a paragraph without making mistakes, then perhaps it is time to invest in a new one?

And you where PM'ed about it because most people don't want to be publicly criticized, it was a courtesy to you!

How many times over the past month or so have we heard the bad keyboard excuse? I need to go and count.

Peanut. You didn't get a rude PM, you got A Pm (even though I'm not the one who sent it). A Pm that most likely pointed you in the general direction of the forum rules along with asking you to please take more care in posting. This is something we ask of EVERY member, not just you. No one gets special treatment.

Silly to bring your gripe out onto the board. This could have all been handled in PMs. The members here know that we send out PMs about posting habits. We usually do it in PMs so that no one is embarrassed. But feel free to bring it out onto the forums and feel free to leave if you must.

Last edited:
I just saw the PM from the other mod. NOT rude at all. It was very polite and to the point. What a whiner.

Oops was that rude of me?

The members here know that we send out PMs about posting habits.
We know because a good deal of us have recieved them ourselves!lol

Here's the link to the forum rules. https://guineapigcages.com/forum/announcement.php?f=27&a=7

It's given to everyone and asked to be read. The mod that sent you a pm was in NO way rude, she even said Thank you. If you think we are too harsh, too mean or too rude, maybe it's better that you aren't an active member here. We strive to make this a community where you can easily read posts. It's so much easier to read a post that has proper capitalization, punctuation, spelling, etc. over one that doesn't.

Oh and by the way, this is being moved to General chat where it belongs as it has nothing to do with cavies.

As someone who migrated here from a forum where proper spelling, grammar and punctuation were optional, I can tell you that the mods here are doing everyone a favor by enforcing these guidelines.

I still develop a slight twitch whenever I see "ur."

VoodooJoint said:
I just saw the PM from the other mod. NOT rude at all. It was very polite and to the point. What a whiner.

Oops was that rude of me?

I have never called anyone names on this forum, call me what you like, I really have no feelings one way or another about it, I dont know how many times people have heard about the keyboard issue, I can only speak for myself. So before judging me and calling me a whiner, look at yourself Im not the one who is a stressed out Mod .:crazy:

Wouldn't you be a little stressed out if Katrina hit your home, did major damage, and forced you to go to another state for many weeks? Then when you finally are able to return home, you have to spend months trying to repair the damage and fight the insurance company. I think VJ does a pretty darn good job at controlling her stress and keeping it off the forum.

I have a messed up keyboard with buttons that stick and have to hit the same key over and over sometimes just to get it to work. All we are asking is that you review your post before you hit submit.

It's going to do absolutely no good to sit here and get into petty arguments. The rules are the rules, either abide by them or don't post here. Bottom line, end of story.

So before judging me and calling me a whiner, look at yourself Im not the one who is a stressed out Mod

I would think after having her hometown and life ripped apart by Katrina she has all the right in the world to be stressed out. The crazy smiley is just plain rude.

As for the keyboard, buy a new one. The one I am using right now I got for $10.00 at Best Buy. It isn't an excuse.

Last edited:
Peanut - I thought you & your wounded ego were leaving the forum because we're too mean?

Get over it already. Plenty of members of this forum have received PMs asking them to work harder on their spelling, capitalization, punctuation, etc. etc. Most of them are adult enough to say nothing and simply correct their mistakes or apologize and promise to do better in the future.

Bringing what was a private issue public is quite childish. If you're going to leave the forum, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Thanks for the back-up folks. But don't worry about it. Peanut's statement and smilie didn't bother me at all. It actually gave me a smile.

Yup I'm stressed and not because of this forum. I do my best to keep it off the forum but do enjoy the occational argument with a troll or troublemaker as stress relief.

The differance between us is that I don't come here and whine about my troubles. Those problems are mine to deal with and looking for sympathy here on the forum would be selfish of me. It's one thing to vent once and a while but constant bids for attention and sympathy are frankly annoying.

Sorry if you didn't like me calling you a whiner Peanut but I called it like I saw it. You didn't like being corrected by a mod and instead of questioning the mod in private you wanted to whine about it to the entire forum--making you a whiner.

Now get over it and move on. Stay on the forum if you like but obey the posting rules.

Peanut, to leave a site as wonderful as this simply because a moderator asked you to watch your spelling and grammar more closely is silly. Think of all the great advice you get here. Okay, now open your word processor. Copy and paste your post. Hit the spell check button, correct mistakes, and copy and paste back here. It take all of three seconds. I know, because I have to do it with every post I make. I am an awful speller. But I agree that post become harder and harder to read the more mistakes that are found in it.

By the way, I have had broken keyboards. It stinks. But copy and pasting and spell checking can all be done with the mouse alone. And a new keyboard is not expensive either.

I suggest:
1. That you go purchase a new one when you get a chance.
2. Start and continue to use spell check. (I keep my word program open all of the time so that I can spell check things for this AND other boards. It makes you seem so much more intellectual when you spell things correctly.)
3. Apologize in this thread. A simple: "I'm sorry, I had a cruddy day and overreacted. Please forget I ever made this thread." will do. I assure you, everyone will do just that. Forget about it.
4. I would even suggest that you send a PM to the mods, apologizing and explaining that you will start spell checking. But I guess that's optional. It depends on how mature you are.

Anyway, the only one who will suffer if you leave is you and your pigs. This is one of the greatest places to get advice about your pigs.

I hope you make the right decision.

You don't have to use word at all. I started a thread in the General chat section on using the spell checker that is here for us. It is a wonderful program and I use it all over the Internet, not just here. When on another site you just right click and then spell check and ta da ! BTW on the 'quick reply' it is found in the upper right hand corner. a check with ABC over it.

But remember with the spell checker, you must be using Internet Explorer. It doesn't work with other browsers from what I understand. I use netscape most of the time and it doesn't work with netscape. It's a great feature though for those who can't spell or use capitalization/punctuation correctly.

You don't have to use word at all. I started a thread in the General chat section on using the spell checker that is here for us. It is a wonderful program and I use it all over the Internet, not just here. When on another site you just right click and then spell check and ta da ! BTW on the 'quick reply' it is found in the upper right hand corner. a check with ABC over it.
My computer, even though this is my better one, is really fragile, I don't want to load anymore programs onto it right now. So, I'll keep copying and pasting for the time being.

Peanutlover said:
...like I am an Ididot and don't know how to spell?
It's "idiot," by the way.

Sandy, you're so bad :mischievo

I saw that but was trying hard to resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.