Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Rubbing fur backwards?

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
I am petting my cavy backward and she is making her purring (?) noises. I start from the top back area to her shoulders. She seems to like it. then if I rub from her sides just before the back legs to the top, she shivers.

How do I put this delicately? I am not "exciting" her, am I?

Animals generally do not like being petted in the opposite way the fur grows. She's probably not purring, but burring instead.

Also shivering guinea pigs usually means discomfort or nervousness.

I would stop doing it. Doesn't sound like she enjoys it.

Mine do the same thing when I pet them backwards! I thought they like it. They wheek. What's the difference between purring and burring?

OMG!!!! I know cats and dogs don't like it, but her noises I thought were happy ones! Who thought I would ahve to learn how to pet her? I pet like I did the dog. Geez, I sound like such a terrible owner!

I'll look up burring. I will definitely stop. And I just apologized to her.

Animals generally do not like being petted in the opposite way the fur grows. She's probably not purring, but burring instead.

Also shivering guinea pigs usually means discomfort or nervousness.

My pigs do the same thing. I have a theory that it's a reflex for them, because it seems that all guinea pigs do it, and it sounds kind of forced. I'm not sure if they dislike it or not, so I usually don't do it. I do it sometimes when there's company and I want to show off their noises.

I need to learn to speak piggie, honestly. I never know whats wrong when the wheek or pur, or apparently bur, I've only had mine a week and I'm still learning each personality.

OMG!!!! I know cats and dogs don't like it, but her noises I thought were happy ones! Who thought I would ahve to learn how to pet her? I pet like I did the dog. Geez, I sound like such a terrible owner! <br><br>I'll look up burring. I will definitely stop. And I just apologized to her.<br><br>
Animals generally do not like being petted in the opposite way the fur grows. She's probably not purring, but <strong>burring</strong> instead.<br>
<br>
Also shivering guinea pigs usually means discomfort or nervousness. <br>
<br>

Kwee does the same thing; she loves being stroked from her head to her backside, but if I so much as run a single finger in the opposite direction, she freaks out and starts jumping around. It's cute as hell, but for her sake I don't make a habit of it. lol

Forcing the hair follicles the wrong way could even be painful or uncomfortable, just like if we brush out hair backwards upside down with a sore scalp as a result.

You're not a terrible owner because you came here and asked, and you're changing your behavior now that you know she doesn't like it. Those are all signs of a good owner.

It takes a while to figure out piggy noises and body language. My Borat is very straightforward, but Amy is an enigma. She has a wide variety of sounds and gestures, and it's hard to tell when she's happy, annoyed, or just being an opinionated Abby.

My Lucy acts as if it is painful and clearly hates it so I quit doing it. My little one Molly doesn't seem to mind at all she purrs and flattens out. But it is nice to know that my girl isn't the only one who doesn't like it. I was worried something was wrong with her.

Thank you for your kind words. That makes me feel much better.
You're not a terrible owner because you came here and asked, and you're changing your behavior now that you know she doesn't like it. Those are all signs of a good owner.

It takes a while to figure out piggy noises and body language. My Borat is very straightforward, but Amy is an enigma. She has a wide variety of sounds and gestures, and it's hard to tell when she's happy, annoyed, or just being an opinionated Abby.

My Porcupine doesnt seem to hate it. In fact he purrs, flattens out, and gets annoyed if I stop. But then again his hair grows in about ten diffrent directions it looks like so i imagine its hard to find a way that dosnt pull on something. He only likes being brushed from head to bum though. Odair is hard to please regardless of direction. Stubborn he is.

OMG!!!! I know cats and dogs don't like it, but her noises I thought were happy ones! Who thought I would ahve to learn how to pet her? I pet like I did the dog. Geez, I sound like such a terrible owner!

I'll look up burring. I will definitely stop. And I just apologized to her.

Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake with my little boy.. After about 5 min of me petting him that way and hearing him burr he decided to yawn at me and I got the picture that he REALLY didn't like it!!

Oh... Woah... I thought Freddi likes it, since i rode somewhere that they like it D: I was confused why does he shiver and bite when i do that. Oh, i'll stop that again.
Sorry Freddi D:

I agree with LitaRutherford. Frankie seems to love it he flattens out and starts to purr. if i try to stop he goes under my hand forcing my hand on him...his hair goes straight back...

I agree with LitaRutherford. Frankie seems to love it he flattens out and starts to purr. if i try to stop he goes under my hand forcing my hand on him...his hair goes straight back...

If they're purring, they're aggravated. They make a cooing sound when they're content.

I think that we should just make a stickied thread of guinea pig noises so people can see the differences. One for wheeking, one for purring, one for burring, one for cooing, etc... Plus it'll be very cute.

oh my goodnes Tunundary - YES! A thread like that is extremely needed. I look at youtube videos so that I can figure out what the sounds sound like. It is confusing. I am used to dog and cat noises - I've a bead on them. The only one I can for sure know is wheeking.
I think that we should just make a stickied thread of guinea pig noises so people can see the differences. One for wheeking, one for purring, one for burring, one for cooing, etc... Plus it'll be very cute.

If they're purring, they're aggravated. They make a cooing sound when they're content.

I know every pig have their own personality. When i fist got Frankie i looked up the different sounds they made b/c i wasn't sure.

• Purring noises: these have different meanings depending on the pitch of the sound (and the accompanying body language). Guinea pigs that are feeling contented and comfortable will make a deep sounding purr (accompanied by a relaxed and calm posture).
Frankie is always very relaxed, belly flat and his eyes closed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.