Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Rory has mites, I have no money

MissMalfoy

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I have a question that I think might be Canadian-specific about mites treatment.

My vet won't prescribe/give medication without examining him first, and that's an $84 charge for something that I already know he has. I've read online that people often get the medication to treat mites without an exam, but they insisted that they legally aren't allowed to do it. I explained my story to them, as well: Rory was really sick and used up all of (AND MORE) my emergency vet savings. My only income is student loans so I've spent the last couple of months living dirt poor because of how much I had to unexpectedly spend on my poor boy. I think the stress of it all is what caused his mites. And it was the same vet that I dealt with and they wouldn't give me any sort of break. I haven't been able to replenish my emergency fund, since I only get new money at the start of each school semester (I'll be getting more in about three weeks).

What should I do? What CAN I do?

I could afford the treatment for him - she said it would be about $20 per treatment, which is fine, but I absolutely cannot afford $84 on top of that right now, and I don't think it's in his best interest to wait three weeks.

Should I try calling other vets to see if they'll give the treatment without an examination? He really needs to have this done ASAP, he's starting to lose hair on his arm from biting/scratching it.

Yes call around explain your situation. If that doesnt work you could shave him and bath him and wash all his stuff really good. barrow the money or call a gp rescue/shelter and see if they can help you untill you get money and then make a donation to them for payment.

I just found out that Ivermectin is also a human medication (for river blindness or worms), so maybe I'll go to my pharmacy and ask if it might happen to be an over the counter medication. Which I'm not feeling confident about based on what I've read of it, but you never know... sigh.

I do feel confident about treating him myself but ugh.

I wish it was as simple as treating mice for mites was - we got bird mite spray, sprayed all of the girls' bedding, and that was that. :(

I think my guinea pig has mites too... When I got her 2 years ago and she squealed every time I pet her and she would nip at us. We always thought that she had social problems but now I am starting to think they are mites. Thanks for posting this.

I would not suggest washing and shaving your guinea pig. That will not get rid of the mites and will cause him more discomfort. Mites is a common issue in guinea pigs and you can treat him yourself. Read all you can about mites on guinealynx.info/mites.html

I bought 250ml of Ivermectin on Ozbo.com for a reasonable price. The key is to get the EXACT proper dosage, too much Ivermectin can be dangerous.

Go to greenhawk. They are Canada wide. That is where I always got my horse wormer from and I have seen other people on here say its ok to use horse wormer on guinea pigs. I think you just rub it on them but maybe double check that with someone on here first because I have never treated a guinea pig with this before. Here is the website: (broken link removed)There is more then one that is Ivermectin just read the ingredients.
Or you could also go to another horse/feed shop.

Ivermectin is one of the easiest meds to use. if it is in the form of paste horseworm you diluteit dow and give it to your pig by siringe. the dosage is per wt of the pig. the how to is posted on guiena lynx.Please do not shave and give a bath. a bath at this stage would irritate the skin even more.

Go to greenhawk. They are Canada wide. That is where I always got my horse wormer from and I have seen other people on here say its ok to use horse wormer on guinea pigs. I think you just rub it on them but maybe double check that with someone on here first because I have never treated a guinea pig with this before. Here is the website: (broken link removed)There is more then one that is Ivermectin just read the ingredients.
Or you could also go to another horse/feed shop.

THANK YOU!

I was about ready to just give up and hope Rory could take another three weeks. I was actually almost in tears thinking about it - it's illegal for vets here to administer medication without doing an exam first, fair enough but UGH.

I showed my sister the guinealynx page about diluting the horse wormer and she said she knows exactly what to do. She's going to school for chemistry so this is right up her alley, thank goodness.

And they're all so cheap! Now I'm almost in tears from relief, haha.

Your welcome :)

Some vets will give a free checkup (not exactly how useful this is) to any guinea pig whose owner can provide proof of adopting it from shelter or rescue.

If not, borrow the money or bathe everything Rory owns.

Glad you have found a solution! I just wanted to add that you might contact a local rescue and see if they have any they can share with you or sell to you. The lady I rescued Junior from (who is a gp GODDESS!) not only diagnosed Fella with mites but gave me two doses of meds for him for free. So thankful for that lady and her expertise!

(broken link removed)

That's where I got mine for my piggies and it worked fine. Just rub the amount (per weight of the pig) behind their ears I believe every 2 weeks until the mites are gone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.