Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rollers

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Has anyone has success with putting rollers in their hair? Do they create curls or waves? I want to buy some tomorrow but then I was thinking shall I just borrow a pair of curling tongs from a friend?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Rollers tend to create curls. You're probably better off using curling tongs...I've used rollers but they're not too great with my hair.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
The thing is - for the prom my friend "tonged" her hair and the curls fell out within 10 minutes! Would hair spray keep them there?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Curling my hair with an iron takes forever. I would much rather put my slightly damp hair in soft rollers and blowdry and hairspray them and take them out in the morning. If you are doing this for the wedding, experiment with it first.

If you hair is medium/thin I would go with velcro rollers.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I use a spray wax which works great for me. It could be that your friend has fine hair, so the curls don't stay put for long.
I would say hair spray/spray wax is your best bet of keeping the curls from falling out.

Zeander

Cavy Slave
I think it depends on the type of hair you have. I have thick hair and it is so hard to use curlers. The velcro ones are the worst because they just get stuck! I suggest a curling tong (or iron). But before you use it, spray your hair with startch. I don't think it's the same startch you use on clothes though. Try a beauty supply store.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Yep, it depends on the type of hair you have. I've used hot rollers in my hair many times, and the curl always stays. My mom, however, can't keep a curl if she had to. I've never had any luck with soft rollers. Curling irons work well for me too, but rollers give much more height.

When I've had my hair curled for events, the stylist always told me never to wash my hair before having it fixed because it makes it too limp to work with. I've never had that problem, but I know others have. I couldn't stand to not wash my hair anyway. :)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
The best rollers I've seen are the steam rollers. You put a foam roller on a little steam machine for a minute or two then pop it in your hair. Doesn't work for my hair (thick and stubborn, I can't do anything with it. It's very heavy) but my mom who has thinner hair then I do (average thickness) has had good results with it.

Curling my hair takes an hour and a half with a curling iron, lots of spary wax, hair spray and a second person. Needless to say, I don't do it too often. I usually stick to a good old pony tail placed high on my head with a nice hair ornament for special events. Or it its only a sort of special event I'll wrap a strand of hair around the elastic.

Good luck with curling :)

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! My friend won't pick up her damn phone so I havn't got the tongs yet. I went out and just bought my self some rollers. I'll try them out tonight and see what the result is like tomorrow morning.

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
I had massive curls piled on my head for my prom, they were almost glued there with this amazing gel my stylist used. It's thick and brown, I think it's for hispanic and black hair, but it worked well on me. It only works if you have darker hair, as your hair would be tinted brown otherwise. The stylist used a combination of curlers and an iron, it came out nicely. I can't get the hang of curling my hair myself, no matter as it's mostly shaved off at this point. If you have darker hair I reccomend that gel, hope this helps.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I'm such a poo - I didn't think of getting any gel at the store. I've got them in at the moment, I look so funny! I do have dark hair, so that would have worked nicely. I was tempted to get the velcro one's slap, but then they looked a bit harsh. I think that they would ruin my hair so I got these foam and plastic ones.

StrangeKat

Cavy Slave
Yea, I don't know if they'd have that gel where you live, I just know of it because I live in a mostly hispanic neighborhood. The woman who did my hair only spoke spanish, we had to have people translate for us. It's worth looking for, your hair will stay up longer than you do, I wore it for three days, getting it wet in the shower and everything. When you're done do we get to see pictures? =o)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.