Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Ritz needs a buddy

cynpz

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted a male guinea pig about a year old and also planned to adopt his 3 month old son so that they can have each other and adapt together, but he turned out to be a she :( so Ritz is alone right now. I want to know how long i should wait before adopting another male pig? should i wait for Ritz to warm up more and be compeltely comfortable/ used to me? or should i get one now that way they can adapt together and possibly make each other feel more comfortable and make the process easier on all of us? Thanks in advance :)

I also adopted a male guinea pig about 2 months ago (not sure of his age) and I want to get him a companion but don't know how to go about it. From what I've read you could adopt a second one now but you would have to do the quarantine and then introduction. My biggest problem is what if the second one I get doesn't get along with my first one.

I am having the same thoughts though I would like to get a sow and have my Ted neutered. It's hard to make the decision and the more you think about it the harder it may be for them to adapt to the newcomer!

why do you have to quarantine them? ahh if only we had the answers!

Just because the newcomer might have an illness or such that you don't want your first GP to have.

I love this website: Guinea Pig Care and Health InformationTheres a section under companionship and introductions that I find very helpful :)

Ritz will be happier when he has a friend.

Quarantine is necessary because pigs hide illnesses very well, and some illnesses take a little time to show up. If the pig did not come from a reputable guinea pig rescue you have not way to ensure the pig was properly cared for and that all health issues were addressed. Thus, quarantine.

Anyone with a solo pig should look into adopting a buddy for their pig. I would look for my nearest guinea pig rescue and inquire if I could bring my solo pig in for a meet and greet. Personality is the determining factor in whether two pigs will get along or not, and if you adopt from a rescue, you can possibly take your pig for a meet and greet to let him choose his new roommate.

wow! i had no idea a meet and greet was possible! i would love that! the nearest adoption center is about a 4 hour drive, but i drove 3 hours to get Ritz, so ill do it again to get him the perfect companion :) thanks for the helpful information! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.