Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

RIP my sweet baby Pignatius "Iggy-Pig"

PopePopsicleIV

Cavy Slave
First off, to anyone who tried to help me while he was sick, thank you. And don't dare any of you tell me any "i told you so"s or "you did the wrong thing"s. 1. I don't need that right now, and 2. No one could have suspected what happened.

After working hard to force feed and water Pignatius day and night, my sweet little piggy was so lost I had to put him down yesterday. He had become so emaciated and was grinding his teeth so much from the pain I couldn't take any more. I hate that I had to do this to just a little baby.
I had been keeping in close correspondence with his vet since Saturday after his emergency visit. She had me call back on Monday, and the outcome looked a lot better, he was sitting up, he seemed to be responding well to the food and medicine. I was getting my hope up and kick started for him again. My levels of worry decreased, especially when he tried to hop around, and made it (with a little help from me so he wouldn't fall over). Then Wednesday afternoon he started laying down again, and attempts at propping him upright were fruitless, so instead of call the Dr. again for a chat, I made an appointment.
His Dr, at his 3rd appointment in less than a week, first told me what I had sadly expected to hear. She said that he looked awful, he'd gone from being a seemingly healthy 1.9lb piggy to a 1lb piggy in less than a week. She asked me about his stools, his teeth grinding, and a few other things I answered promptly in hopes of something, anything that could put my pig back on his Cilantro-loving feet. She came to the only conclusion she could about my extremely ill piggy, telling me that she suspected that a bit of the lining in his GI track was torn somewhere, and most likely getting infected, thats why his belly was so very sensitive. I had only suspected a bruised/broken rib at most. I sorely wish I had been right, it would have taken a lot more of my TLC but he'd still be okay.
I had a few options among euthanasia; dangerous surgery or hospitalization. The Dr. said that with something like this, most guinea pigs die shortly after surgery and since Iggy Pig was just so sick she didnt want to risk surgery on him, then with hospitalization they would pretty much be doing everything I was, except they would be injecting his medicines rather than giving them to him orally, but in the end, none of the outcomes were very bright.
It was a really big, difficult decision to make. I had been thinking very long and hard since he started laying down, because deep down I knew that I would have at least 2 options going into the vets, euthanasia or something that could possibly/probably help. I'd made the decision that I wanted to know that I had tried everything I could to save him, and that was that. After hearing my alternatives though,I just wanted his suffering to stop. Over the last few days his tooth grinding had increased and he refused to stand up anymore. I couldn't let him get prodded with needles, he HATED that, and I didn't want him to pass in the vets office with no one around, then get a call in a few days saying that our attempts to save him were fruitless and he left without me getting to say goodbye. The vet refused to do surgery, but I couldn't have taken that route anyways for fear of putting him in too much pain. I never wanted to take another life in my hands this way. I just wanted to give them all the love that I could, and I never expected something so horrible to happen to either him or his brother so early on.

At 5:30 I took him back in in a towel, and let the vet euthanize him. He's buried next to Sugar Magnolia under a beautiful flower in our yard.

He was barely just a year old, and he'd already had such a hard life. A bad ear infection as a small baby that left his head with a tilt to it, so he always looked kind of confused. I saved him and his brother from the back room of a Pet store, giving them a Big C&C cage, all the veggies, and love a piggy could ask for. There's not much to say about my poor little baby as a piggy. He was a laid back, simple little thing, with a very big love for Cilantro. He was a little sweetie, a snuggler, and a diva. I already miss him so much. I can only hope he knew how dearly I loved him.
[GuineaPigCages.com] RIP my sweet baby Pignatius "Iggy-Pig"
Again, thank you everyone who tried to help me diagnose his problem, and guide me through the process of taking care of a very ill piggy.
Sorry that post is so very long... I had to get it out. :[

RIP my precious little Iggy Piggy. Mama Sug is gonna take good care of you now. I'll see you when I get there.

I'm sorry to hear about Pignatius. :sad:

I am so sorry that Pignatius didn't pull through. You love him deeply and he knew that, and still knows that. I'm positive he is up to his ears in cilantro right now, and popcorning with joy! He'll greet you again someday.

In the meantime, hugs and many wheeks from the Wildcavy family!!

Awww, I'm very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could do for him, so I think you are a great Guinea Pig owner.

Thanks guys. It means a lot. There's this voice in the back of my head scolding me, saying that I didn't do the right thing for him, but I know I did. And I told him all about Sugar while I cuddled him before I went back to the vet. I know she'll take good care of him up there, and I know I tried as hard as I could and did everything in my power to give him the TLC and medical care I could, some things just aren't fixed so easily :[

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.