Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

RIP Alfie

carmalfie

Cavy Slave
Last night my Alfie passed away. I don't know if there was anything I could have done more for her. We fed her everything we were told to feed them, but she still passed away. So right now, me and my husband are at a crossroads with adopting another one. Right now, we still have our other piggie, Carmel, but I don't know what to do if I want to get another one for her, or what. If anyone has anything to say to help me with our decision, I would appriciate it. Thanks. I love you Alfie!!

It’s really important that you find a new friend for your Carmel. It doesn’t have to be right away, as she may be grieving as you and your husband are. She will let you know when the time is right to introduce her to a new buddy.

I’m very sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss! I think it sometimes helps with the pain to bring a new member into the family, but you certainly don't want to stress Carmel out. You might want to do a play date, if you can, with a rescue to see if Carmel gets along.

We (boyfriend and I) were going through the same thing this week. We decided that Roxy needs a friend. She seems different now that Jordy is gone. I hope that your pain becomes easier. We never "get over" our first piggys, we just learn how to deal with it. And time does make it easier. Very best of hope for you and yours. Please let us know what you decide! Do you have a picture of Alfie? I would love to see her.

I am so sorry for the loss of Alfie. Piggies can be funny some time. They hide their sickness so very well. I too have had a pig be fine and wake up and they are gone. It is heartbreaking.
It is a loss for Carmel also. She is grieving in her own way. Some pigs cry out, others are silent. Some get depressed. She will need a new friend when you are ready. They are herd animals and need their own kind.

Again I am so sorry you must go thru this. We are here for you, your husband and Carmel.

You're the only one who can really say if you're ready for another one. When I lose one, I'm always devastated and feel like I can never replace that one. Then, I start to think about all of the homeless ones out there that would love to have a nice, warm home. I usually end up adopting another one sooner than later.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.