Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Rictor is going in on Tuesday

jowasaurus

Cavy Slave
So to just start off, I've read all the information on guinealynx and Guinea Pig Neutering, How to Neuter your Guinea Pigs MULTIPLE times. And I have to say, all that I really got from it was a big heaping helping of anxiety about the entire process.

Like the Title states, Rictor [the latest adoption] is due for neutering this Tuesday so he can live with Cara in a few weeks. The local rescue I am in contact with knows the vet and was/ is actually the anesthesiologist for procedures of pigs she knows personally. This vet does a high percentage of all the local rabbit, guinea pig, and ferret rescue neuters along with the occasional dog and cat. I've been reassured multiple times and have read the information about what is going to happen, but I can't help but feel a little nervous for the fella.

Rictor is at a healthy weight, eats, drinks, and poops normally, breathing is fine. He is about one year old and hasn't been with another pig since his first few weeks of life. I thought this would be an excellent opportunity for both him and Cara to finally have a roommate [where it goes from there is entirely up to them].

I was just wondering, besides to usual post-operative care suggested on cavyspirit, what have you guys personally done with your pigs to ensure health/ happiness after the neuter?

Well, I haven't had any pigs neutered, but my bunnies are going to be soon, so I was also researching. They said for bunnies to wash all supplies and toys to help rid of their old scent? Maybe this may work for guinea pigs also. Anyways, ensure they have fresh water, clean cage, fresh hay, ... Anything to make his recovery as comfortable as possible. I haven't gone through the experience myself, but I wanted to offer a couple suggestions. Good Luck! :)

I may be a little dense, but what would washing everything to get rid of their old scent do if it's the same animal going into the same cage?
I already have some towels to put down in there for him after he's done and after the first week, I was going to see if putting him and Cara in a split cage would be a good idea for a small intro since he'll be done with his quarantine in another week as well.
Thank you!

I'll have my fingers crossed that everything goes well! I've never had a guinea pig neutered, but I've heard that it's a good idea to put them in a smaller space until they're healed. That way they don't have to move around as much, and then there's less of a chance he'll split his stitches, or something.

As of now he is already in a store bought cage for his quarantine [it's what he came home to me with]. The problem I forsee is that he is a pigloo jumper and loves sitting on top of them so I think I'll take that out and replace it with a cuddle cup or something for a few weeks

Yeah, just make sure you thoroughly wash out everything, but it's fine if he uses his same cage. I also agree about taking out the pigloo, but still include something for him to hide in. :) Good Luck!

Please share your experience with Rictor. My piggy Borat is going in any time now to be neutered. I just need to make the appointment. I know it's for the best so he can live with his neighbor Amy, but I've read some bad experiences, too, so a good one would help reassure me. I do trust the vet clinic I'll be using, but piggies are so fragile in surgery compared to dogs and cats.

My Felix is neutered, and he appears to be just fine now :) I adopted him neutered with Isabella from a shelter.

So, my darn luck, I get in the car with Rictor and my friggin' car won't start! I'm so upset right now. I've spent the last 5 days stressing over him and I guess it's someone else's plan to not have him neutered today?
Plus I had another plans for this evening [dropping off applications, grocery shopping, etc]. Well I guess he's on the schedule for next week now. Ugh to the Nth degree.

I have to wait ANOTHER Tuesday for Rictor to get neutered. All my anxiety has been thrown out the window and replaced with impatience.
This week has more serious reasons however. My friend at the rescue had a death in her circle of friends is a huge part of everything that happens after that has been placed on her shoulders.
Plus, I called my doctor this morning and apparently I'm not supposed to be driving after my surgery? Whoops. Yeah, the box wasn't checked on the list of activities I'm able to perform, but the only things checked were Shower, School and Sexual Activity. . .

Come hell or high water, Rictor is going to have his testicles removed from his body next week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.