Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues: Why do they make it so difficult?

Raine59

Cavy Slave
While I certainly agree that adopting a pig from a rescue is better than getting one from a store or a breeder, it also seems excessively complicated. The closest rescue to me that has guinea pigs is an hour away, and I looked into their adoption process just out of curiosity. I certainly don't think that they should let just anyone adopt a piggie, but the process is so involved that I'm sure a lot of people who might be able to provide a suitable home are driven away by the complexity of it. They require a long application with a lot of essay questions, a reference from one's vet, a home visit, and a $25 per pig fee. And then the fostering family can just say no if they don't like you for any reason or if they've gotten attached to the pigs and don't want to give them up. I'm sure many people just don't want to go through all that and it would be hard to blame them.

I very much agree. I think I made a post about this once also. When I first got into guinea pigs, I looked around, but at that time could only find one rescue around me (Little did I know there are like 20, not counting craigslist pigs and such) So I looked on their website, and found one pig, so I applied. The online application took about an hour, then I got an email back saying I could come in to meet the pig. So I went in, and was bombarded with tons of questions. So after all of that, they had their vet come in and also question me. Then the girl said that everything checked out and they would bring the pig over in a few weeks, they would also do a quick house check before handing her over. Turns out that someone totally misunderstood something I said, and ended up denying us even before the house check because unbeknownst to me I am breeding guinea pigs because of the fact that I said the word "Raised" I don't even understand that. The word raised does not mean breeding, people who say they are raising a baby don't mean they are breeding it. And that pig would have had such a great home. Sorry to go off on a little rant there, but that still gets on my nerves to this day.:mad:

Anyway, I see how that whole process could drive someone who would rather adopt to just go out and buy a pet. There are tons of stories on the internet about how people have wanted to adopt a pet, but decided to buy either because of the crazy adoption process or because of how picky they are. My favorite one that I heard was of a family that went in to adopt a dog, and while they were waiting 2 hours, the little kid start drawing on the ground with a stick, so one of the workers rushed over screaming "NO DON'T DO THAT YOU'RE TEASING THE DOGS!" So he put it down and they waited some more. In the end they were accepted to adopt the dog, and the family was so happy and went on a shopping spree for doggy food and toys. They later got a call that they couldn't have the dog because of the inappropriate behavior of the kid.

That does sound like a lot, but I think they just want the guinea pigs to go to a good home, and anyone who is willing to do all of that, is more than likely a good home.

I'd love to adopt, so I'd do all of the above. Including the application with essay questions. Bluck. What kind of questions are they asking that you need to write an essay for?

Turns out that someone totally misunderstood something I said, and ended up denying us even before the house check because unbeknownst to me I am breeding guinea pigs because of the fact that I said the word "Raised".

They later got a call that they couldn't have the dog because of the inappropriate behavior of the kid.

Okay, that's a bit excessive. If places denied people left and right for "misuse" of a word or their kid trying to entertain themselves while their parents are working on adopting, they wouldn't be able to find any homes for their animals.

Here is a link to their application: (broken link removed)

I wasn't implying an essay as in pages and pages...maybe short answer would be more appropriate, but some of those things are hard to answer until they happen.

I wasn't implying an essay as in pages and pages...maybe short answer would be more appropriate, but some of those things are hard to answer until they happen.

WOW!! That is a heck of a adoption application! I adopted from a humane society and they didn't ask me anything what so ever. I just paid the adoption fee for the 5th piggy a few days ago. I had to call the rescue and she asked me a few questions. Such as cage type, food, bedding used and what I would do if the pig was ill. She said that she will refuse anyone who she doesn't think is fit... Of course I am though. ;) I understand they have to be careful but, if they get too extreme they will never adopt any out!

I wish the rescue I got my newest boys at gave me essay questions. I love filling things like that out. I see how it's beneficial,too. That way you can go over any things the potential owner may not be aware of. I want to make sure I'm doing everything the rescue owner thinks is proper care.

I just signed a contract and got a health record book/care sheets. It says in my contract that the agency reserves the right to make house calls to assure proper care as well. I think it's reasonable.

I think I lucked out with my rescue person,though. She's nice and sane. :p

I can see asking some important questions and meeting the person. But those are way excessive. Same with a lot of dog rescues, I think that if you're trying to find homes for sooo many dogs without homes, you can't just deny people left and right from owning an animal. I've known people who have gotten denied from rescuing dogs from shelter for little reasons, most of them would be better owners than most people who own dogs now!

Try the Austin Animal Center. They get guinea pigs in quite often but they go very quickly, they aren't very picky but you may want to apply ahead of time since the guinea pigs do go quickly. Or you could get this guy! Isn't he a cutey! (I'm secretly in love with him but I don't think my herd could happily take a 5th) (broken link removed)

I am with you though on some rescues. My family would like to add another sheltie to our family. We already have one. He is an awesome dog. The local rescue will not adopted a sheltie to us because our kids are too young and they claim shelties do not do well with kids. We have a sheltie, he is awesome with our children, our children are awesome with him! My family is willing to jump through all their little hoops and essay questions but nope. Kids are too young so I can wait a few years or go another route.

They did the same thing to me back when I got my first sheltie. They wouldn't adopt to me because I was 19. That was it. Never mind I was pre-vet, worked at a vet and my family had collies so I was well aware of the hair/grooming needs. Nope. They said you had to be 21 and that was it. No exceptions. So, I got Rudy from a friend's neighbor and have had him now for 8 years. I have had him through 3 moves, 2 kids and a husband and I will have him until he passes no matter what happens between now and then.

I am pretty determined to rescue a sheltie though but for a less determined person they would have already contacted a breeder and would be happily playing with their new family member while I continue the search. =/

@Inle_Rabbit LOL....I saw that ad and thought he was adorable, but mine are all girls and he'd be lonely. But then, I want every cute pig I see.

@Raine59 - That's nothing a trip to the vet wouldn't fix! lol

Oh yeah, that's what I meant! I know what essay questions are, and I hate them. Lol.
But I'd have no problems filling out an application with them. My thoughts are if you want something that badly, you should be willing to do whatever it takes to get them. Including filling out a super long application form.

I don't see anything all that invasive about the application. People tend to look at getting pets like rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas thinking they are less of a commitment, less expensive, etc., than dogs are cats. They are usually just the opposite, depending on how you care for your pets. Rescues make a tremendous investment with their animals, both emotionally and financially, and they want to ensure that the home the animal is going to will have the same respect and mindset. I can understand that it may be hard to know what you'd do in certain circumstances, but if a person answers "euthanize it" to the question, what would you do if your small animal needed a very expensive surgery, that gives the rescue a pretty clear picture of what you'd be like as an owner.

I don't see any problem with it and don't see that they are making anything "difficult." That said, it's VERY easy to get an animal from a private person, ie, on Craigslist, in addition to (probably) other shelters/rescues in your area, so there certainly are other options if you find this particular process to be too tough.

That's not much different than the two I filled out when I was looking for my guinea pigs.

I haven't actually adopted from a rescue before, all of my pets have come from people who were rehoming them, but I have seen quite a few adoption forms. This form looks like all the other forms I have seen. I understand why they ask so many questions, they want to make sure all the pets go to the right homes. People can easily lie and manipulate to adopt a pet that they shouldn't have.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.