Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blog Rescued two piggies today. A short story, Part 2.

Blog entry from old forum

knirpslyn1

Cavy Slave
Right now!

Lo and behold, I popped on CL for my annual piggy check and to flag some more breeders last night...and a little grey and white piggy was peeking at me between the bars of a mouse cage.

So tiny and innocent, I clicked on the ad.

It wasn't just one cute little baby piggy, it was two! And it wasn't just a mouse cage, it was a tri-level cage! Sharp inclines, no sides, and the bigger sister pig was wider than the ramp!

I knew I couldn't let this one be. They looked so young, and I couldn't imagine them being stuck in that cage their whole life. I emailed the woman instantly and went right ahead and put my real phone number on there. I was going to adopt those piggies!

They replied the next morning, still available. Yes! First good sign. Sadly, I had appointments and errands and wasn't sure if I'd make it out until the late afternoon...but that was okay with them. Yes! Second good sign of acquiring teh piggies today! Finally, after all the running about was done, I had an address and a mission.

I jumped in my car and drove off with excitement and hope.

When I arrived, it was a typical suburban house. The lady of the house walked me through to the piggies, chatting about how they were a present for a niece that couldn't take them home with her. I expected fresh-from-Petsmart young piggies. She led me to a closed door, because of the dogs, that opened up into a small bedroom with the pigs in it and little else.

But these weren't young piggies. These were much older, and larger, than they appeared in the picture. The smaller one hid (poorly) behind the ramp, while the larger sister stood up front, ready to inspect the new giant-hand-beast.

As the woman showed me a BJ's biscotti container half-filled with the largest pellets I had ever seen in my life, she said "We just feed them these every day." and shrugged. In the cage was a 1/4th plastic measuring cup, filled with those pellets. I did not dare to ask if she meant once a day, or throughout the day...

The piggies sat on a brown wood shaving, which she said they had more of on the back porch if I wanted it. I said sure, but what I meant was, 'Sure, I'll dispose of what is probably pine/cedar bedding you mistakenly purchased.'

She showed me a very small box I could take them in, and I asked if they perhaps had something a little larger I could take them home in. She went searching, and I knelt down to say hello to the piggies. They moved around slowly, and didn't even flinch when I put my hand against the cage, or poked in it to let the older sister sniff me.

The young boy living there popped in and began regaling me with the tales of how he plays with them, and how friendly they are. I nodded and smiled, refraining from interrogating him on how he handled them in an attempt to know what to tell the vet in the upcoming visit.

The lady of the house came back, and while she couldn't find a box out there, quickly spotted a large diaper box in the room and offered it. I accepted her offer, and the move began. The boy disappeared to fetch the bag of bedding, and upon his return as she was picking up the piggys, I noticed it was just a black trash bag. I sighed inside, and glanced apologetically at the piggies.

As I carried the box o' pigs out to the car, it hit me that I hadn't taken the wheelchair out of the car in my excitement, or brought hay/romaine! I felt like a derp, but it was only a 28 min drive home and everything would be okay. After rearranging, they assisted me in loading up the car and we said our goodbyes.

Two seconds into being in the car, they began eating the long strands of shaved wood (perhaps it was dried hay?) in the fresh bedding. I felt terrible. I don't know if it was nerves or hunger, but they ravaged that bedding in the first 30 seconds of the ride for all the hay-like bits.

I started talking to the piggies. I told them grand tales of a land without wood shavings. Of a land filled with the bestest Timothy Hay. I asked them if they knew what a hidey hut was...they remained silent. They continued their silence after I asked them if they knew what romaine or lunch tiem was... I was gonna blow their minds.

And then I heard a pigeon. ...and smelled old man toots.

...it went away for a bit, and then it happened again.

And again, and again, and many more times on the short ride home.

I'm guessing it's the grey and white baby who has the toots, but I still haven't figured out if she coos and then toots, or the toots sound like coos. Whatever it is, the more adorable it sounded, the more I wanted to put the window down. Those pellets are the devil. I was halfway tempted to pull over and start a bonfire with the cage, bedding, and pellets...however, that is not only illegal, but it probably would have poisoned/hurt other wildlife.

We drove onward, and I put the window down as we hit the slower town traffic and lights.

A wonderful breeze swept through the car, removing the toots and replacing it with what smelled like a freshly cut tree, something like pine. ...pine. Pine.

I'm in Florida here, there's no group of lumberjacks leveling a forest of pine anywhere near me. The trashbag in the back had come unraveled, and the scent was wafting throughout the car. Yep, pine bedding, or pine scented/oiled wood shavings...whatever the case, it was bad news bears.

While I knew going into it that I was likely going to toss everything that came with the pigs, I was surprised that I came to that conclusion so quickly. Well, now that I know it's everything, I suppose I could just put it back on CL marked 'hamster supplies'... I'll have to look up what's safe for what rodent before I label it, though.

To be continued...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.