Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescued baby rabbit

Tunundary

Cavy Slave
One of my coworkers rescued a wild baby bunny from a crow. The mother was nowhere to be found. It is currently sitting on her desk covered in a towel and curled up in a bowl with another towel in it.

I know you think you did the right thing, but let it go. Once a wild bunnies eyes are open they are on their own keeping it will only cause it unnecessary stress and it will not survive very long in captivity.

If its injured though see if you can find a wild animal rehab center and give it to them.

I did not bring it in and the eyes are not yet open. She has been calling around to vets for advice about it. From what I've been overhearing she has been told not to keep it more than 4 weeks.

If it eyes are not open then there is not very much you can do, wild bunnies are tricky trying to force feed them almost always end with them aspirateing, develop pnumonia or starving to death. Even professionals in animal rehab have only a 2-3% chance of keeping a wild baby rabbits alive. If at all possible look for the nest, its false that mom will abandon them if they have been touched by humans. Also mom will only ever come to the nest at night for a few minutes so not seeing her around means she is doing her job so not seeing her doesn't mean abandonment.

Hopefully you can get in contact with someone soon so she can follow appropriate protocol and the bunny will be able to be released back into the wild. I don't think I could leave an injured animal,either. I'll save pigeons and rescue worms on the sidewalk on a rainy day.:expressio

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.