Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General rescue

miss_melmel

Cavy Slave
there isnt a rescue that i have found that is in illawarra for guinea pigs i was wondering how you would go about starting one?

I'm personally not sure. But, if it was me, I would contact some existing guinea pig rescues. I'm sure many of them would be glad to help and tell you how they started and what it takes. Good luck!

There's a rescue in Victoria. Maybe you could foster for them.
(broken link removed)

Setting up your own rescue will require lots of money, time and experience. You will also need a cavy savvy vet who you can always take your pigs to.

There is one 3 and 2 hrs from me. Its just i dont drive

Most well organized rescues are always happy to talk to someone about setting up a branch of their rescue, or starting a new one. Realize that rescues are funded out of YOUR pocket, for the most part. Donations are few and far between. Not driving is going to be a problem, because you need a reliable source of transport in case of emergency. Rescues always encounter emergencies, and these are very expensive. And, yes, LOTS of experience is neccesary. I would suggest fostering and volunteering at a rescue before considering starting one up yourself. It's very easy to get overwhelmed with animals in need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.