Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Requesting photos of 2x? cages for herds

Haymonster

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I have a herd of 7 pigs (6 females and 1 neutered male). They're currently in a 4x5 cage. I'd like to put them in either a 2x9 or 2x10 L shaped cage that's raised off the ground. Partly this is to keep them out of draughts and to increase the floor space in the room where they live, but the main reason is to keep them out of reach of two new bunnies.

I'd really like to see photos of how people have done largish 2x? cages, especially L shaped ones, for herds of pigs. I'd like to see how people provide enough hiding spaces in 2x? cages for many pigs. My pigs currently have stools, huts etc around the perimeter of their cage to hide under. Where would these go in a 2x? without taking away too much floor/running/popcorning space?

I have done a raised cage before - I used to have a 2x6 cage which was raised off the ground (with another 2x6 cage underneath). It was pretty stable with connectors and zip ties, so I'm pretty confident that I can construct a stable raised cage. My main concern is how to provide a good environment for the pigs, i.e. keeping them away from the bunnies without depriving them of the pleasure they get from their large 4x5 cage.

With hiddys in a 2x? cage, I find it works best to move them away from the walls, so that the pigs have room to slip by. This gives them the most space to run along the outsides. Though this really works for any cage. I'd lean towards getting a 2x10 or bigger for a herd of 7. Tunnels are also a good idea to provide some extra hiding space, as those also don't take up much floor room, and they love running through them. For three pigs I have a 2x5 connected to a 3x5 in an L shape, though I don't know if pictures of that would help you or not. lol

There's a photo gallery here with thousands of cages in it. Go to the home page of this site and click on Photo Galleries -- you'll find more cage styles than you've ever dreamed of.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.