Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Reporting animal cruelty in Taylor, MI.

Xeygwyn

Cavy Slave
Alright cavy lovers, I need some help. I just got back from a very popular trade center in Taylor, MI. I walked by their pets, and saw a cavy, malnourished, covered in mites, hunched over, and breathing shallowly. You could literally see the lice or whatever they may be crawling all over him/her. I spent the time crying on the ride home with my husband, and swore I would report them. Trouble is, Michigan Humane Society basically blew me off and said 'no, we don't deal with the city of Taylor', and when I asked for the info, they hung up on me with a 'don't have it'. This baby needs help, or he is at death's door. He had sullied water with less than a quarter inch of the muck left in a bowl. There was a chunk of hair and skin in the aquarium, though it did not appear to belong to the current guinea. He never moved other than to draw up his front paws. His only food was bird feed. I couldn't bring myself to purchase the cavy and perpetuate the cycle, though it was horribly tempting.

The thing is, I'm having trouble finding out who is in charge of animal cruelty investigations in Taylor. I called the local shelter and received no response, and it was a woman's voicemail - not an organization from what I could tell.

Please help me find out who to contact, my heart is hurting for that guinea.

ETA: Please move if in wrong section - thank you!

First, maybe you could try going back to see if you can get the guinea pig for free since it is sickly? That wouldn't benefit the breeder in any way, and would get the pig out of that place ASAP

I considered that, as well as making a ruckus about it, but my husband wanted me to take this route first. I'd be afraid that even if she didn't make a profit, she'd simply plunk more down in the cage as soon as she could, with it freed up. The guinea was the worst, but many animals in the booth (birds, cats, hamsters, rats) were in poor shape and in need of reporting as well.

I agree with (broken link removed) . When I was big into betta fish I got so good at manipulating store managers into giving me them for free because of their horrible conditions. Be strong, assertive, and not afraid to raise your voice a bit. Also come in with LOTS of info! It'll intimidate them.

I am now considering going back again. I just don't want to rescue one sickly guinea with the thought of more being in the same situation. Wouldn't that nullify any investigation if I removed him/her? Or would pictures work? I'm torn, I just want to do the right thing.

I bet you could record a video? Maybe have someone else go in with a camera (so you dont get the store too mad at you before you try to rescue lol). I really want this store investigated too but that is one sick pig and who knows how long it has left.

It's an indoor flea-market type thing, so getting photos/video would be no problem. I just want to make sure it would be worth it for the animals. My relatives here (I'm not originally from Michigan) aren't certain if animal control would have any jurisdiction in such a place. The humane society has so far not been helpful. I'm sure they HAVE to get complaints about these people all the time, and I don't understand why it hasn't stopped.

I don't know much about this, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But wouldn't it be better if you rescued the pig now, so it could be treated before it died? It might be replaced, but you could still work on fixing the situation, but you could still help the pig in need right now.

@Xeygwyn

It irks me to know that these things are happening in Michigan.

I think I would definitely get the pig out of there. Before you do, get pictures/videos, preferably both, of any mistreated animals.

You should send them into any shelters or rescues, definitely RESCUES, around the area.

@Zuidy Do you happen to have any of the numbers to rescues here? All the links I have found are either closed rescues, or outdated links.

I was worried about taking the pig because I thought the site recommended against it, if adding to harm. With him in such serious shape, however, I am not sure my heart can keep me away from him/her. I will keep you guys posted.

Trouble is, Michigan Humane Society basically blew me off and said 'no, we don't deal with the city of Taylor', and when I asked for the info, they hung up on me with a 'don't have it'.

'Kay, after you have exhausted all state and local officials(seems like you are well on your way to,) you go national. PETA. I know not all people agree with everything PETA has done but I have yet to come across an organization that has the money, people and resources PETA has to get animals out of bad situations.

Contact PETA | PETA.org

To comment on the PETA thing, I've never known anyone to be mad at PETA for what they do for animals, but for what they don't do for animals, from my information they don't do too much for them. This is just info I have gotten from others that don't like PETA, I wouldn't know myself, I try not to get into that stuff too much, because I end up developing a opinion on it myself that I feel strongly on.

Contact PETA, Dept of Agriculture and animal control for the county Taylor is in. You should have taken photos. PETA will usually want photos before they get involved.

Thank you everyone. They closed the booth before I could get there today, but I will be going back tomorrow to take photos and/or video when they are open again. PETA sounds like a great idea, and one that hadn't crossed my mind. It seems like I keep getting bounced around here.

We are considering taking in this piggy, and have been consulting vets tonight on trying to get him/her treatment. I'm trying to find the best cavy-savvy vet in the area, as this one is going to really need some help. I feel terrible for not making it in time today. I pray I am not too late.

Good luck tomorrow! Keep us updated!

To comment on the PETA thing, I've never known anyone to be mad at PETA for what they do for animals, but for what they don't do for animals, from my information they don't do too much for them. This is just info I have gotten from others that don't like PETA, I wouldn't know myself, I try not to get into that stuff too much, because I end up developing a opinion on it myself that I feel strongly on.

I think it's a lovely organization(I'm a member,) but my Mother worked for Monsanto for a number of years and was privy to many protests. So naturally she can be a bit biased. We get into fights about it all the time.

Okay, I've been lurking for a few days but haven't updated because I was upset. We went back the next day, but the cavy was not there. I am hoping someone may have helped him out of that situation, though I keep beating myself up over not going back that same day before they closed. My husband took some pictures, as he is the one familiar with the area, to send off to Peta and local rescues/cruelty dept. My sister-in-law has apparently dealt with this kind of thing before, and offered to help spread the word. Does anyone know if I can post the name of this place here to warn off others? I wasn't certain if it was allowed. Thanks.

Feel so terrible, still.

I used to live in Taylor. Honestly, with the type of booths they have there, I wouldn't be surprised. Call the police to find out their animal shelter number if there is no online number. OR better yet, get animal control to handle it. Are they associated with the police? I am not sure. My friend was an animal control officer in another city and they would come out for things like this.

Good for you for taking care of this!

On a side note, the person must not be a good businessman, because this one sick pig will get the rest sick and who wants to buy the sick ones? It is much better to keep healthy pets. Of course, I hope he just gets busted and never deals with animals again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.