Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Replacing fish oils in veggie diet

hannah101

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone,

I have recently become a vegetarian and I could do with a little bit of experienced help.
I'm concerned about replacing fish oils, omega 3 & 6 (I think that's right). I've read that nuts, seeds and linseed/olive oil provides the nutrients I need. I'm not a fan of nuts so I thought I would go down the linseed(flaxseed) oil route. Would a tablespoon per day in a salad be enough/too much?

Thanks for any advice you can give me,

Hannah :)

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I hate the taste of flax seed oil, so I sprinkle freshly ground flax seed on salads and cereals.
There is no set amount of how much per day that I know of. I add a tablespoon of ground flax seed to cereals and salads and we put flax seed in breads, pancakes and muffins.
It is best to start with a little and work your way up to however much you want to be eating with flax seed because it is high in fiber.

Wednesday_12

Cavy Slave
About a tablespoon per day is good :)
I also use ground flaxseed on my breakfast cereal in the morning. But oil works fine too! Just don't use it for cooking, I think that heat destroys the nutrients.

Popcorn's pet

Cavy Slave
Look for Udo's Choice oil, it's a cold-pressed blend with a good balance of Omega 3, 6 and 9. And it tastes good, too!

I'm nut a huge nut fan myself, but I make walnut pate to put on salads. I use the recipe from Jenny Cornbleet's "Raw Food Made Easy", it tastes like chicken or tuna salad, not nutty at all. Walnuts are a great source of omegas. You can also buy or make walnut butter, and swap it out instead of peanut butter.

You can hide flax seeds in a lot of foods. Make sure you grind them finely first, otherwise they pass right through you and you don't get any nutritional value. They go rancid quickly once ground, so keep ground flaxmeal in the freezer. You can toss a spoonful in a smoothie and you'll never know it's there.

everio3

Cavy Slave
Its been very attractive and fascinating to me to use linseed(flaxseed). i have been using a good amount of linseed(flaxseed). Me and my friends Mickey Everio, Junio Solihull, Christine Freville have also loves to use this since 30th June 2002. Its really nice to taste & utilize it.
Thanks

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.