Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Regretting getting a second pig.

EverGreenly

Cavy Slave
So, Sunday I brought home a second piggy. I still have not decided on a name yet. I'm concerned because Walter (my first pig) has completely changed. I can barely even pet him now and the new pig is a biter. Every time I put my hand new piggy sniffs my finger and instantly bites. He's a bully too, he pushes Walter around and nips at him. I don't know what to do! I want my old piggy back... he was so loving...

My advice is too wait it out, most likely Walter is feeling threatened by this new addition. Did you make sure to completely clean and rearrange the cage than introduce them in a neutral place? If they are not fighting than I would allow them to sort out dominance.

Guinea Pigs Social Life

This is more specific in introducing:

Guinea Pigs Social Life

So, Sunday I brought home a second piggy. I still have not decided on a name yet. I'm concerned because Walter (my first pig) has completely changed. I can barely even pet him now and the new pig is a biter. Every time I put my hand new piggy sniffs my finger and instantly bites. He's a bully too, he pushes Walter around and nips at him. I don't know what to do! I want my old piggy back... he was so loving...

You should quarantine the new pig for 2-3 weeks first to make sure he doesn't have any illnesses. Then introduce them in neutral territory and if that goes well put them in a completely cleaned out cage. Patience is key. :)

Guinea Pig Social Life is a great place for advice. It was that advice that helped me reintroduce my two boars.lol

Thanks guys! The cage was completely cleaned out, nothing had been used before. I introduced them in the bath tub and it went well. They are so quiet now. I'm just afraid all the progress I made with Walter will be for nothing. It took me almost two months to get him tame to the point he was before I brought in the new pig.

Sorry for the 'new pig' name. I don't really know him well enough to name him. I'm still thinking Norman or Monty.

My two changed some when I brought my third home but they have evened out a bit. Granted my two are also going through puberty as well which adds to their bipolarness sometimes. But there was a noticeable diffrence. My cuddled Porcupine got very loud and hyper before I ever introduced them. But they've been together two weeks now and he's calming down into the old Porcupine more or less.

Is your new pig biting hard? Or is he just nibbling?

i understand being worried that your first pig has changed and you miss the close relationship you had built with him, but you did the right thing in getting him a cage mate. if you had kept him alone, he wouldn't have been happy for long without another guinea pig. just imagine if you were the only human being in your town! things will settle down. and you simply can't rush that. guinea pigs are very sensitive, skittish critters, so it may take longer than you would like, but patience will pay off! good luck!

You've gotten great advice! Time is the best medicine for this problem. My 2 pairs (females) took about a month to finally get used to each other. I had a big bully at first as well, but now she has mellowed out and is patient with my younger pigs. Just spend a lot of time with them and it will pay off:)

Its just so frustrating because I feel like Walter doesn't like him. Which makes me not like the new pig. Gahh I'm so conflicted. I'm going to give it time, don't get me wrong. I only want my baby to be happy.

guinea pigs usually dont bite unless something medical is wrong or maybe he needs treated for mites.

Its just so frustrating because I feel like Walter doesn't like him. Which makes me not like the new pig. Gahh I'm so conflicted. I'm going to give it time, don't get me wrong. I only want my baby to be happy.
I definitely understand how you're feeling! I felt like my new pigs came in, threw everything off and I felt resentment towards them. But patience will pay off! I'm sure they will get along in time and things will be fine. I think the best way to feel better about the new pig is to spend a lot of alone time with him. Get to know his personality, form a relationship and with time he will trust you more. It is so rewarding when you start to see those little signs of trust growing!

Piggies will also bite if they are nervous or scared.

He's a very strange pig. Whenever I come and pet Walter (he's getting better) new piggy comes over and sniffs my hand. When I let him sniff just my finger he tries to bite, not a little mouthing like Walter, he bites to draw blood. He also stares at me from the side of the cage and wheeks... but he doesn't let me pet him.

I had the woman I got him from quarantine him for a few weeks for me. I live in a studio so I have enough room for the cage that I currently have with some room to expand. I have no where else to put a second cage.

Guinea pigs are curious. Many animals will bite something put in front of their faces, especially a younger pig. Keep your hand away from his face until he is more familiar with you.

Even though your pig may not like him now, he will be happy to have a companion of his own species once their dominance issues have been worked out.

I'm sure... Its weird, I fell in love with Walter the second I saw him. Buuuut this second pig I can't seem to even enjoy. It's so weird. I want to love him because he is so cute, maybe I need to bond with him for myself. Am I the only one that has ever felt this way? I feel like I can't love him until Wally does.

Blahh I'm so crazy. Sorry for complaining.

I know when Igot Porcupine and Odair i didnt like Odair. He was cute but I only wanted Porcupine. And Odair was the moody one and peed on me and wouldnt relax completely. He also nibbles the most. It took a little while but now I couldn't imagine myself without my little chunk a monk. I still favor Porcupine and even Bear, the newest of them, but me and Odair have a special relationship. So I dont think your alone, and I dont think you have to love him th same way you love Walter, and I dont think you should expect to. You just have to find that special something you both can share together. Like you said, you have to have your own bonding!

I really need to bond with him lol. I just cleaned the cage out and put in a new fleece and build a new hidey house. And cleaned the disgusting kitchen which smelled like a barn. Had to put them both in a small taxi, but there wasn't a peep out of either of them which I take as a good sign. Right now just letting them relax and run around. Both are popcorning though!

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, its good to feel like I'm not the only one that has spent time resenting the new pig. My hubby is convinced new pig is evil. He said something about the way he looks at him. What a goob.

So just a little update for you guys... Walter has been running around the cage and popcorning for the last 20 or 30 minutes! I bought a little plastic cube that has holes in it and cut the front off, I put it upside down and laid a towel over it for another hut. Wally absolutely loves it! I think everything may be getting a little better. I'm happy to see my little baby so excited. He keeps moving his new house around and popcorning behind it. Oh my little bug.

This is good news! Yeah, multiple hiding places are very important for multiple pigs! I would recommend having 3 for 2 pigs. You can also make a lot of different types yourself.

New pig hasn't been hiding since I got him, he's been popcorning a bit and laying under the water bottle. I think he's hoping it will drip on him. Its around 105 today and the air conditioner isn't pushing as hard as it can. Doing everything to keep them cool. Some cool cucumber and lettuce I covered in water and put in the freezer for about 20 mins to get really cold. They're almost laying in their veggies.

New pig had a coughing fit, it looked like he was about to throw up. No sneezing or crusty eyes/nose. This new hay I bought is really dusty so I'm thinking that may be it. Going to the store tomorrow night to get some different stuff. I think I'm going to need some veggies with a little more water inside to keep them cooler. Any ideas?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.