Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Refuses to let me clip his nails.

jacquerooks

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted Stevie from a little girl that was not responsible enough to care for him well (as most children are, so I'm not trying to talk bad about her) and was obviously not receiving any help from her parents. When he finally let me pick him up to give him a look over I noticed that his nails are so long that they are causing him problems. I got some clippers from the pet store but he refuses to let me clip them. Someone suggested that I give him a bath first so that it will soften them. Not sure what to do.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Get someone to help you. Have them hold him like a baby, sitting upright facing you. Tear up small pieces of lettuce and have them feed him tiny pieces at a time which will give you a chance to do one nail at a time. I've found that rubbing behind the ears, massaging a foot and anything to distract them helps. Take your time and if you can't do them all in one sitting, no problem. With a little patience, it can get done.

BBsGuineaHelp

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig is the exact same way. What i do is i made a small sandpaper ramp and put it under his food dish. It has kept his nails trimmed down so i never have to clip them anymore.
You can also use a brick or a rock. Just make sure to wash it good to remove any dirt or dust.

Ive also heard of people covering their guinea pigs head with a blanket to help keep them calm. It would also help to give him veggies.
Hope i helped :)

jacquerooks

Cavy Slave
To ThePigAlchemist- They are so long that they are starting to curl under his feet and I'm just trying to get them to where he can stand properly. All of his nails are white, so I can see the quick, and yes they are long. I tried getting my husband to help, but Stevie still is not sure of him yet (not that he doesn't like him but he works second shift and hasn't had much time to give him). I have even considered seeing if I can find a vet that would trim them for me.

CavyGeneral1291

Cavy Slave
i think guinea pigs in general do not enjoy their nails being clipped. i have heard stories of guinea pigs being espscially fiesty during nail trimming time. in such cases, ive also heard of using sandpaper to file them down rather than cutting them. i may take a while longer, but the result is a happier guinea pig in most cases. however, every guinea pig is different and they all have their own personalities. soo some may be a little more skiddish towards sanding their nails down than others would.

CavyLoves

Cavy Slave
My mom has to trim thier nails as I try to keep them still and keep them from climbing up to my shoulders and into my hair. Its a hassle but it gets done! It takes about 5 minutes for both to get done.

BBsGuineaHelp

Cavy Slave
I understand that. That is why i am regularily checking his feet to make sure there is nothing wrong with them. And if im suspicious of anything i remove it and check to make sure its nothing serious.

jacquerooks

Cavy Slave
Glad to report that we finally got those nails done. He was pretty upset at first, but when I put him back in his cage and could actually walk around comfortably was a quite excited. He even took a few laps around it before retreating to his igloo.

Ashleighv

Cavy Slave
Okay so I have a piggy with dark feet. And he's very hyperactive as he's still only 3 months. I've tried my hardest to bribe him with veg and treats but nothing seems to distract him from what I'm trying to do! Also I can't just do it quickly as i don't want to cut the quick with him having dark feet. I'm wondering whether there is somewhere that actually does it for you. My other piggy with light feet is very calm and snugly and doesn't particularly like it but will suffer through it. Is there such a thing as a place that will do nail clipping? Thanks xx

ladydreamer04

Cavy Slave
Okay so I have a piggy with dark feet. And he's very hyperactive as he's still only 3 months. I've tried my hardest to bribe him with veg and treats but nothing seems to distract him from what I'm trying to do! Also I can't just do it quickly as i don't want to cut the quick with him having dark feet. I'm wondering whether there is somewhere that actually does it for you. My other piggy with light feet is very calm and snugly and doesn't particularly like it but will suffer through it. Is there such a thing as a place that will do nail clipping? Thanks xx

I work at a pet store and one of the pet care associates said they will cut the naols there. If your pet sore won't do that and you can't get help from someone else you might have to take your piggie to the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.