Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

References

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
I'm researching guinea pigs in preparation for getting them at a later date (approximately 4-6 months down the road). I'm doing every thing I can to be ready for guinea pigs, and I'd also like to be able to pass with flying colors with rescues.

I was just looking at the application and came across references. They specifically state no relatives. I'm not sure who to put down. Between social anxiety and having no transportation, I don't get out much.

The first person who comes to mind runs a questionable rescue, and I'm not sure I really want to write her down. On the one hand, I think that she could give me a wonderful reference- I know I did a lot while I was there and she has stated recently that she misses my help. (We had a bad misunderstanding between the humans and I couldn't take the stress; leaving the animals wasn't easy!) However, if the reputation of that rescue is known or becomes known, couldn't that put my application in jeopardy? Even though I did great work, would they look down on me for working in that facility in the first place?

I have a friend who's not particularly fond of animals but could probably give me a character witness. She lives a couple of hours away, so we don't see each other much, and we keep in touch through face book and the phone for the most part. Would that be good enough? Her mom lives in the area and I see her at church, but (because of my health) I don't go often so I don't get much of a chance to see her either.

There's a neighbor just down the road I go talk to every now and then. I've talked to her about pets, but we don't really know each other that well. I guess I could make a point of it to visit her once or twice a week until we're ready to adopt and see if she'll be a reference.

There's also a church member that doesn't live far from me, but again, I don't see her that much either. I'm not sure if she would give me a reference. Of course, I could always visit her once or twice a week as well so we could know each other better.

There's a rescue not far from me I applied to volunteer at once; this was back when I was working with the other rescue- she needed my help a lot more. Of course, the transportation problem would have to be over come, but it would be a great reference for me.

As you can see, my circle is pretty small. I'm not sure how I could increase it either without transportation and with my anxiety. So how do I give them a good, strong list of references? Also, what kinds of questions will they be asked? Might give me some idea as to who I can list and those I ask will likely ask me what kinds of questions they may need to respond to.

That's weird that they ask for references like that.

Honestly, even if you list people who don't know you that well, they're going to say nice things about you if the rescue calls them. I'd still jot down the church lady and whoever else will let you write them down as a reference. If I were you, I'd also choose my volunteering contacts in addition to the church lady. It makes you look like a good person.

I had this same issue when applying for my first job. I kind of just made up people cos' obviously low-paying chain stores don't actually call your references. (maybe in rare cases) Applying for adoption is different, I'm sure.

I don't think they really use your references. They are just seeing if you put people down. Now I could be completely wrong as each rescue is different. I am kind of the same way when it comes to people and I don't have many close friends. I just asked some acquaintances if I could use them and they were cool with it. They never got called.

LOL. Thanks you guys. The application process just looks so hard and I'm worried they won't accept me for one reason or the other. I'm used to people judging me- harshly! Maybe I'm just a tad over-concerned. :) Hope they accept me!

(Again, just talk now- will become action in a few more months after things have been ironed out.)

Well, that's the thing us people with social anxiety right? I always think people are going to be judgmental of me, even when I try and tell myself they're not.

Good luck! You have a lot of patience to wait and smooth things out so far in advance. That's definitely something I don't have. :p

@MissJean My husband thinks I'm premature in my planning too, but the thing is, I was depressed all the time and doing nothing but playing on the computer all day and just getting sicker. Until, that is, I decided to find a positive outlet to put my energy into. So planning for piggies and study, study, study has really been good for me.

I'm kinda stuck right now between a rock and a hard place because I can't work (outside of our home), but I do what I can. The house is clean, the dog is walked more regularly, I look for bargains and freebies whenever and wherever I can... whatever I can think of that's possible for me to do to be ready for piggies to come into our world. I'm constantly chattering away at my husband about what we can and can't do and about doing things to be prepared (ie: how we plant our garden and discussing what types of vegetables guinea pigs like- I'm still working on that one!).

I was lonely and depressed in such a stuffy, quiet house. Now I'm looking forward to our future room mates! Early? Perhaps. But there's a lot to be done and I'm up and living again- not depressed in some corner. :)

As far as my patience is concerned, I'm really more impatient then you might think. That's why I'm doing all I can now even though adoption is months down the road. All the planning and studying gives me something to do now so that I'll be ready when we meet our major goal: piggies!

I'm also a slow learner. In grade school, it took the other kids only a couple of weeks to learn what it took me 2-3 months to learn. I want to make sure I have a firm grasp on every aspect of their pet care. When I do need that piggy interaction (please don't hate me!), I go to PetSmart and hold their piggies. With the person standing right there, probably waiting to get back to work, I only hold them for a couple of minutes, but it's enough- for now.

Last edited:
I'm sure anyone here would be glad to provide a reference. I can PM you with my name and phone number or whatever info they ask, if you like. But yeah, that is kind of odd that such an application would ask for references in the first place. It's an application for adoption, not employment. lol

When I adopted my hamsters, the rescue asked for references. The lady who ran it (now my friend) just wanted to get a feel for if the animals would be loved. There are soo many bad people out there and she wanted to make sure they were going to a safe home.

I don't think they really use your references. They are just seeing if you put people down. Now I could be completely wrong as each rescue is different. I am kind of the same way when it comes to people and I don't have many close friends. I just asked some acquaintances if I could use them and they were cool with it. They never got called.

I tend to agree. When I put references down I use my MIL and my daughters, they have last different last names. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I don't think it matters whether your references have any info on how you might treat a pet or even whether you've had one -- I mean, this could be your first time getting an animal -- but your friend could say whether you seem kind, have a good character, etc. And any of us here could tell them that you are definitely doing your research so you are prepared!

I don't think there is anything wrong with holding PetSmart piggies, as long as you don't buy them. They could probably use the love. I couldn't do it because my willpower is not that strong and I'd probably end up losing it in the middle of the store!

I don't think there is anything wrong with holding PetSmart piggies, as long as you don't buy them. They could probably use the love. I couldn't do it because my willpower is not that strong and I'd probably end up losing it in the middle of the store!

At the moment, my will power isn't in jeopardy... just my purse strings! :p (No money, so I can't get the piggy any way. ;) )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.