Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Reeses has got me crying !! :(

southernfury

Cavy Slave
::( I am so frustrated, hurt, torn and hopeless !! How in the world am i suppose to give my piggy Reeses her meds when She keeps biting the crap out of me..i mean to draw blood ! If i pick her up in anything, she will try to break her neck to get out and if u don't let her out, she will bite what ever is in front of her. I even tryed not picking her up and just holding her neck up so i can see her mouth...she is on oral meds.I have tryed every method...elevator, towel, blanket, her cozy, treats, in my shirt on my lap, every way i can think of..!! It don't help that i'm afraid that if i try to secure her, that i might end up hurtin her. I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO !! I'm actually cryin as i write this....my finger is bleeding and i'm at loss on how to help her. I just want her to get better...but she won't let me help her..!!

She is on oral meds for URI & she had her second dose of Ivermectin thursday. I have to give her uri meds twice a day...which is nearly imposs.

Reeses is 9 wks old. She came from a home where she was stuck in a small cage with her 6 brothers and her mom and dad, no water, and dirty food.

We luv her to death...She is so vocal, curious, and funny. I can do my kissing sound and she will wheek her lil head off and she will haul butt to where i put their food. She is the first to come and say hello every morning. She is now gettin coconut to talk to me when i enter the room..:) She will sniff me and my hands, sometimes she will try to nibble, but nothing serious. She loves tryin to chew on my nails..so i have to keep my nails away from her..lol !! Every once in a while she will let me pet her when she is on the ground, but i have to move very slowly and it's only for a few seconds. I don't think she is really that afraid of me...cause she will sit in front of me while she eats during floor time, she will climb on me just to get my scent, and she will run up to me when i come into their play area.

I do wash my hands everytime i hold any of my pigs, because of a scent i might have on my hands and germs. I try to be gentle as poss...

What else can i do? What am i doin so wrong? I am at a loss....she is gettin treated for mites and a uri..! I'm so tryin to b patient and praying she will get over her biting.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Reeses has got me crying !! :(

I will have to get me a pair..!! I will take a look at it...Coconut is easy to give meds, but she has never biten me and she is a calm girl..!! Just Reeses is the one i have trouble with !!

Gloves might be your best bet at this point. It may also be she is hurting from the mites. I've read they can cause the guinea pigs pain and the pig will bite when touched.

I know it's hard to give meds. Keep trying. You know she really needs you to be tough in order to help her. I use thick leather gloves with my feral cats until they tame, so maybe you can find someone to loan you a pair. Wrap her tightly in the towel (make sure she can breathe). You have to try to not be afraid. It's the hardest thing in the world to fake, but animals read our emotions, and if you're scared, she gets scared. She looks to you as the leader, so when you sound the alarm, she'll go on alert for danger. She's reading your fear as an alarm. Does that make sense? And the only other support or advice I can offer is to just be fast. She can't bite you if the syringe is in her mouth. Try to be placing her back in her cage at the end of the dose, so the syringe is empty as her feet touch the ground. Can anyone help you dose her? Oh, and I know it's not good, but I give a sliver of carrot so they get a treat, and get the taste out of their mouth as soon as we're done.

I know it's hard to give meds. Keep trying. You know she really needs you to be tough in order to help her. I use thick leather gloves with my feral cats until they tame, so maybe you can find someone to loan you a pair. Wrap her tightly in the towel (make sure she can breathe). You have to try to not be afraid. It's the hardest thing in the world to fake, but animals read our emotions, and if you're scared, she gets scared. She looks to you as the leader, so when you sound the alarm, she'll go on alert for danger. She's reading your fear as an alarm. Does that make sense? And the only other support or advice I can offer is to just be fast. She can't bite you if the syringe is in her mouth. Try to be placing her back in her cage at the end of the dose, so the syringe is empty as her feet touch the ground. Can anyone help you dose her? Oh, and I know it's not good, but I give a sliver of carrot so they get a treat, and get the taste out of their mouth as soon as we're done.

Thanks so much @Petlovr..!! I wouldn't say that i'm afraid of being biten...i can deal with the biting cause i know she is prob hurting or really scared..My pain only last a minute..!! I should know that...*smacks self on forehead* The emotion part...I have to work with horses, so i hide my emotions when i am around them. I bet she feels me gettin frustrated at her for not sittin still and the biting. But u really should see her....she will almost bend over backwards to get out of anything i have her in.

I caught reeses ether tryin to bite Mocha on the ears or tryin to suck on her ears..Mocha didn't mind at first , but then she will nip at Reeses. Or Reeses will sniff around Mocha's lips and to me it looks like she is tryin to nip Mocha's lip !!

I have a question...what age is the babies suppose to b taken from their mother? Could Reeses be having anxiety issues due to b taking away to soon..!!

Have you tried this? : The Guinea Pig Restraint Bag

However, I am not sure if it is okay to put them in that, what do you guys think? It looks a little cruel...

Have you tried this? : The Guinea Pig Restraint Bag

However, I am not sure if it is okay to put them in that, what do you guys think? It looks a little cruel...

i have never seen those before...hmmm OK...don't think i would ever use one. I would really have to watch how tight u have it around their neck...plus Reeses is so limber that she would work her way out or all the way in..!!
I'm NOT saying that they are bad or good...but just to me, they look a lil no right !!

No worries, I'm not sure if they are okay either. They do look a little...err strange. I had just found that while looking around today so I thought I;d mention it.

It looks like the link to buy them is dead. I just can't imagine a piggy not struggling like a demon in the bag.

I don't think it's bad. They probably don't like it, but severe injury can occur to you if you get bitten, and to the pig if they thrash too much. This looks like a safe alternative. Don't forget, they are always supervised, and only in it for a few minutes. I do whatever I have to do to get meds in. I try to be nice, and talk calmly, but with ferals, sometimes it's a test to see who's going to win.

southerfury-it's OK to vent. That's one of the great things about the forum....Give yourself a treat today, and take a deep breath. It'll be OK. The more medicine she gets, the better she'll feel, so maybe she'll stop fighting so much.

That thing looks like a straightjacket for pigs. lol

In all seriousness, though, you have to get her still enough to give her the medicine one way or another. If more traditional methods aren't working, that might be something to consider. I'm not an expert, but I don't think that thing could cause any serious genuine harm if you don't over-tighten it.

I don't know about trying the bag, it looks like a paper straight jacket for piggies but you could try doing it while Reese is in a snuggle sack, or sew a washcloth into a bag quickly to hold her in? I used a hand towel to wrap Lightning in, he woud try to nip, I had to put my fingers on either side of his jaw and as soon as he opened up I shoved the syringe in. I know it sounds mean but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!! Best of luck hun! And try getting some gloves too...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.