Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Reese still biting and nervous !!

southernfury

Cavy Slave
:sad::( I am about to bawl my eyes out....I thought me and reese was making such good progress...! Tonight i wanted to give all three of my girls some one on one time...Coconut was first & she did awesome, she let me pet her, scratch her lil chin, brush her and give her lil kisses before bed.

* Just a note i pick all my piggies up in a cozy, they seem to like to be picked up that way*

Well next was Reese, normally she is always the first one to her cage for bed time, but tonight she was second. So i set down in their cage with her and the cozy in my lap...I let them come out onto my lap on their own..i never force. Well reese came out but then went right back in, she started biting the Cozy and twisting her head and body in weird shape...i finally got her to come onto my lap....She wanted down in bad way...she kept, biting, trying to run under my arms...I tryed EVERYTHING to calm her down..but no luck !! Finally she bit the crap out of me....I have a piece of skin missing..:( !! I was holding her like i was suppose to but she reached her head down and chomped..!! It hurt so bad i started crying cause she got me right beside the nail. :( She just WILL NOT CALM DOWN when someone is holding her. Sometime i will lay her on the bed and try to pet her that way, sometime she does good and she will be still and other times she will bite and run.
Sometimes if i have the other piggies on the bed too, she will do a lil better about being petted....Honestly i'm being to think she has separation issues. She seems to do better with the other pigs.
See this is what i don't get...Reese is the first to come and eat, first to come up to me, first to sniff and lick my finger...She is the first to check everything out. She doesn't mind so much if i pet her a few times while she is eating, but not for long. Sometimes she will nibble on my finger when she first sniffs me, but no blood drawn..!! She only draws when being picked up.

All my girls have been treated for Mites months ago. I clean their cage daily and wash their fleece and toys twice a week...!! Tomm i will put them back on a mite treatment...just in case that is the issue. I have even had the Vet to check and make sure none of my pigs had any issues with bones, sores or anything that could cause them pain...right now they are all in good health..!!

It is just Reese that is the biter and the one that hates to be petted..!! :( I'm So Lost....I really love my girls....they are my life line to a hard time right now..!!
Heck right now she will get so worked up if i don't put her in her cage right away, that she will go lay down as soon as she gets in there....like she has over stressed herself...And that makes me feel like POOP..!! cause i have never tried to hurt any of my animals....everyone says i spoil them too much...!! But to see her stressed and laying down is heartbreaking..!! And this all happens in LESS than a minute..!!!

If no one else here thinks it's a health related reason, I do want to say that my Buttercup never calmed down much either. I have had him over a year. Once I put him in a shoebox in my lap, then his attitude completely changes. He instantly calms down. Sometimes he will let me pet him while he's in their cage.

I can't trim his back feet in there, though. That's why I have super thick winter gloves!

He may never be as cuddly as you want him to be, but I'm sure he's still fun to watch!

Thanks for the comment hun!!! I have tried wraping her in a towel, evenA sheet that she lays on daily...it freaks her out!! Even if her head is stickin out...it's like she is having a panic attack!! I haven't tried the sleepin on anything yet!! I will try that. I so afraid she is Goin to bite my kids as hard as she bit me tonight! She is our very curios girl....I can lay in the floor and she will climb all over me and even try to chew on my hair. She is very loving when she has her feet on the floor, but a hell cat when u pick her up! I know it's Goin to take time...and this will have to b a daily thing, I just hate to see her stressed that I'm afraid she will have a stroke! She just hate being picked up or feeling trapped! Bad thing is, I'm fixing to have surgery...so I won't get to work with them much...my kids will have to help me with them! again I'm just at a lost on how to get her to relax !

Some pigs just never do. Each pig has it's own personality, and it's possible that she will never be comfortable with being held.

Perhaps try holding her in another room, away from the sights and sounds of the others.

If no one else here thinks it's a health related reason, I do want to say that my Buttercup never calmed down much either. I have had him over a year. Once I put him in a shoebox in my lap, then his attitude completely changes. He instantly calms down. Sometimes he will let me pet him while he's in their cage.

I can't trim his back feet in there, though. That's why I have super thick winter gloves!

He may never be as cuddly as you want him to be, but I'm sure he's still fun to watch!

She is a blast to watch..she is actually my sons lil piggy! Out of all our pigs , she is the most vocal and friendly...well when she is down! I have tryed shoebox, cozzies, cuddle cups, and towels. Nothing is calming her down on being picked up. My vet has done X-rays , and a full check up...she is now as health as a horse. Honestly I think she might have been abused from where I got her , and she might b having separation issues from her cage mates!

She is a blast to watch..she is actually my sons lil piggy! Out of all our pigs , she is the most vocal and friendly...well when she is down! I have tryed shoebox, cozzies, cuddle cups, and towels. Nothing is calming her down on being picked up. My vet has done X-rays , and a full check up...she is now as health as a horse. Honestly I think she might have been abused from where I got her , and she might b having separation issues from her cage mates!

It's doubtful she was abused. Some pigs just don't like being held. Accept her for the way she is, and enjoy watching her.

For times when you must hold her (for her weekly weigh in and health check, and cage cleaning times), consider using gloves.

Perhaps try holding her in another room, away from the sights and sounds of the others.

This is a good point - when I first got my piggies, Lightning would wheek any time I held him in the same room as his sister's cage but as soon as I took him to a different room, he was fine! His sister, Cinnamon, was the total opposite! She was fine as long as she was in sight of Lightning and her cage but the minute you took her to a different room she freaked out! Now they're getting better, Lightning is indifferent to where he is, Cinnamon can be separated for a while without freaking but it stresses her if she's away from her brother and her cage too long...

The reason she doesnt draw blood when she sniffs then nibbles is because Guineas love to get the salt off your skin so shes not trying to do any harm there! My male guinea also does not like to be held what so ever!!! Guineas are naturally nervous animals.. has she always been that way? If so maybe she hasnt trusted you yet.. maybe putting her in a playpen on the floor and sitting with her not holding her though just let her get use to you being presently close to her and letting her know she can trust you! her cage is her safe zone, assure her that she can be safe anywhere you are!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.