Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Red feet?

llonka

Cavy Slave
We just adopted our first piggy, Wally. I noticed after we got him home his feet are really red and look sore. Should I put anything on his feet? I am thinking the pine shavings they had in his cage irratated his poor feet. I also am using pine shavings but will be changing to fleece. Is there anything I can do for his red feet?

llonka

Cavy Slave
Doesn't look like that, just really red. His feet aren't bleeding or crusty either. Maybe it's just him?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
His feet may just be a little sore. You can try a light epsom salt bath [about 1/2 the recipe on the page that rabbitsncavyluv linked to] and see if that helps. You can moisturize afterwards with a tiny amount of petroleum jelly. I do this with some of my heavier pigs. Also make sure his nails are trimmed short, so that he isn't putting unnecessary pressure on the heels of his feet.

llonka

Cavy Slave
His feet may just be a little sore. You can try a light epsom salt bath [about 1/2 the recipe on the page that rabbitsncavyluv linked to] and see if that helps. You can moisturize afterwards with a tiny amount of petroleum jelly. I do this with some of my heavier pigs. Also make sure his nails are trimmed short, so that he isn't putting unnecessary pressure on the heels of his feet.

Ok!! Thank you!!! Will have to do that. How do you know when they need their nails trimmed?

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Watch their nails and they will start to curl a little when they need to be cut and you have to be very careful you don't cut the vein inside them. I take mine to the vet and the vet tech's do them and it is alot less stressful on me and them as it all takes about 10 minutes for the two of them. I take them in about very 7 weeks.

:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.