Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Red feet issue

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Jen, who will be 7 in December, has an issue with foot inflammation on her front feet. The right foot had bumblefoot but I was able to get it healed with foot soaks and wrapping, its almost back to normal. Now her left foot is starting to get inflamed and red. She’s on fleece, and nothing abrasive at all. I just don’t get it. Right now I have both of her feet wrapped, she doesn’t bother with it thankfully. I trimmed the spur.

Attachments

17CB2EA9-FCC7-4C92-BEE0-B72A6D1D398F.jpeg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I would start with the foot soaks again. She is older and I would guess isn't as mobile as she used to be? That COULD mean that she is lying in her own urine longer than maybe she would have in the past. At least you've caught it quickly and you have the tools to treat it. This isnt a reflection of the care she receives from you. In your shoes I would perhaps use fleece pads where she lies the most, and change them out at least once a day.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I would start with the foot soaks again. She is older and I would guess isn't as mobile as she used to be? That COULD mean that she is lying in her own urine longer than maybe she would have in the past. At least you've caught it quickly and you have the tools to treat it. This isnt a reflection of the care she receives from you. In your shoes I would perhaps use fleece pads where she lies the most, and change them out at least once a day.
Thanks! Another question is how quickly should fleece absorb the pee and become dry again? It doesn’t sit on top of the fleece but it takes a couple minutes to become dry again

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks! Another question is how quickly should fleece absorb the pee and become dry again? It doesn’t sit on top of the fleece but it takes a couple minutes to become dry again
It sounds to me like it's doing exactly what it should. But bear in mind if she's laying on it she's putting pressure on the fleece and whatever absorbent layer is underneath it, so the fleece may not dry as quickly as it should or would if she wasn't lying on it.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
It sounds to me like it's doing exactly what it should. But bear in mind if she's laying on it she's putting pressure on the fleece and whatever absorbent layer is underneath it, so the fleece may not dry as quickly as it should or would if she wasn't lying on it.
Sure, good point. My vet called about the picture and recommended antibiotics. Now, I’m no vet, but I just think this is not deserving of antibiotics. So I’m now stressed about that. I’m about to leave on vacation tomorrow, I’m bringing her with me but this is just not a great time.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I understand.. Just so you know, bumblefoot IS an infection and if your vet is a qualified exotics vet, I would follow his instructions. Piggies needs rarely follow a timeline that we choose. Jen needs you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know that I'd give oral antibiotics for that. Deeper infections, which can invade the bone, definitely need oral ones. But you may be able to treat that topically.

I'd start with Epsom salts soaks -- 1/2 cup of warm water with 1/8 teaspoon of Epsom salts. An upside-down bottle cap makes a good foot bath. Soak the foot for several minutes two to three times a day, being very careful not to let the pig drink the solution or get it in its eye. Rinse with plain water afterward and dry the foot well. At night, rub the foot with cold pressed coconut oil -- it's got antibacterial and antifungal properties.

If a couple of weeks of this doesn't show improvement, then you could consider the oral antibiotics.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I don't know that I'd give oral antibiotics for that. Deeper infections, which can invade the bone, definitely need oral ones. But you may be able to treat that topically.

I'd start with Epsom salts soaks -- 1/2 cup of warm water with 1/8 teaspoon of Epsom salts. An upside-down bottle cap makes a good foot bath. Soak the foot for several minutes two to three times a day, being very careful not to let the pig drink the solution or get it in its eye. Rinse with plain water afterward and dry the foot well. At night, rub the foot with cold pressed coconut oil -- it's got antibacterial and antifungal properties.

If a couple of weeks of this doesn't show improvement, then you could consider the oral antibiotics.
This is where I’m at too, I just don’t think it needs antibiotics, there is no wound. Yesterday I began the epsom salt soaks like in the past. I have more experience than it might seem, I just come here for reliable opinions that I know I can trust. Both of you have been helpful in the past.

Instead of coconut oil, I’m using manuka honey and then I wrap it.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I understand.. Just so you know, bumblefoot IS an infection and if your vet is a qualified exotics vet, I would follow his instructions. Piggies needs rarely follow a timeline that we choose. Jen needs you.
So, from all of my research on the topic of pododermatitis (bumblefoot) across all species, basically it’s just inflammation of the foot pad. You’re correct in that infection COULD be the cause, but its not always the case. If there is a scab or ulcer, its draining, etc, it’s probably an infection. But the redness and inflammation can be from many other things such as well, such as walking with unequal distribution of weight, urine scald, etc.

Having said that, there is no wound so I am hesitant to treat it as an infection.

Last edited:

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
F9024ECA 1819 4DF6 A17D 862D08E581BF thursday then today BE391733 5338 4F21 91BA A3D56BF33762

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Which one is which? Bottom photo looks a little worse and beginning to ulcerate?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think the bottom one is newer. But I'm not sure about the ulceration. It's hard to tell which is worse.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think the bottom one is newer. But I'm not sure about the ulceration. It's hard to tell which is worse.
The bottom one, at least to me, looks a little redder, and LOOKS like a pustule forming near the top left. I have zero experience with this and only going by what I've seen here.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
The bottom is newer, that ulcer looking spot has been there, you just cant see it in the other picture as well. I think it seems redder because its shiny from soaking and applying stuff to it. Im going to incorporate betadine soaks as well. We are on vacation out of state and I have her with me. Sigh, worst possible time for this.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
This is another one from today

Attachments

AD8AB49F-C2A6-4374-B44A-D87C29E06E38.jpeg

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Well after having the bandage off and not right after soaking it, look how less red it looks

Attachments

1CE9D24E-E1B6-40AD-A481-FEC05C819E33.jpeg

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well after having the bandage off and not right after soaking it, look how less red it looks
That's definitely better than earlier. I'd say keep doing what you're doing, it seems to be helping.

On a side note, others may not agree with this but if I could take my boys on vacation with me I would do it in a heartbeat. That would be why I want to buy a large camping trailer or RV, so that I can do exactly that.

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
Yes I’m very fortunate to have a family home here where I can bring her. I just use her travel cage, Its okay for a short period. I change the fleece daily. She requires too much to leave her, especially with her sister not being here anymore

Jake8771

Cavy Slave
I think that wrapping it is somehow making it more irritated. The first picture was this morning after not having it wrapped overnight, then I wrapped it and the second picture is this afternoon after being wrapped.

Attachments

AC97E2B6-C39B-495C-994A-8FAB31D41BC0.jpeg 6C453F8E-CD08-405C-9188-289A40F14505.jpeg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I haven’t had a Guinea pig with feet that red, but I have used diaper rash cream on irritated feet and back legs. I cleaned the area first, then applied the cream to get it covered thoroughly. It’s waterproof so if she’s sitting in one place and it’s wet, the cream will act as a barrier.