Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Red blotchy skin after cutting pigs nails.

Tylerryan79

Cavy Slave
I just finished cutting my pig Good Boy's nails and my whole inside wrist was red with white blotches. When picking him up earlier to clean his and Scott's cage I noticed my neck/chin felt itchy. Usually this doesn't happen. My wrist was scratched a bit(no broken skin or visible marks) and was in contact with his fur. My neck was not scratched but Good Boy was directly underneath it while holding/moving him. Is this a normal skin reaction? Or should I be worried about mites? The two pigs do scratch themselves, but not constantly or in any way that would lead me to believe mites. Also there's no visible hair loss, besides shedding.What, if anything, could be the causes and solutions?

You could have a contact allergy to their hay or their bedding, more likely the hay than the bedding. You can test that by taking some of the hay and rubbing it on the inside of your arm -- not much, and not hard, as you don't want a bad allergic reaction. But if you get red, itchy skin from it, you'll have your answer. And incidentally, most hay allergies are to timothy rather than the other grass hays.

They probably don't have mites if they're not scratching a lot, but if they do, you could have been bitten. You won't get infested the way they would, but can get bitten.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.