Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

red and green peppers??

agpiggy

Cavy Slave
What are red and green peppers are they like capsicums?? ive never heard of them before.

red, green, yellow and orange bell peppers are all capsicum. You should be feeding your piggie/s some every day due to the great Vitamin C content in them.

ok, roughly how much a day per pig?

I have 3 girls and I give them 1/4 of a bell pepper daily, so for one pig, I would give 2-3 thin slices.

May I ask what other veggies your feeding your pig(s)?

oh ok, cool thanks :)

i feed my pigs (i have 2) cucumber, half a baby carot each per day, romaine, tomato, celery, umm i give them some fruits as well like apple, watermelon and sometimes apricot but they only get those as special treats and not all at once.....umm i cant think of anything else at the moment!

they also have grass and hay everyday, as much as they want :)

Carrot or pepper... which would they prefer? My piggies love carrot a lot... but I don't feed them regularly though so don't worry

mine would definately prefer carrot! they love it

they need peppers more than carrots, lots of vitamen C , that way you dont have to worry about vitamin C pill and such

I never used to feed my pigs pepper, they used to have loads of carrot...way too much I realise now. Definetly will be feeding them lots of pepper in the future :)

I heard there is a lot more vitamin C in the red peppers then in the green ones.
Mine also like the red ones better :)
I found a list on a dutch cavy-website that says how much vitamin C there is in which vegetables and fruits, I think I'll translate it for you.

I may be giving too much if 2-3 thin slices per day per piggy is the right amount. Red and green peppers are the veggies Daisy loves most, so I've been giving her about 1/4 pepper per day divided in two feedings (morning and night). Am I overfeeding her?

I honestly don't know if 2-3 thin slices a day per pig is the right amount. But that is what I give my girls each and they only get it during one of the two daily feedings. I give them tons of other things for each feeding as well. I kept hoping a very experienced cavy slave would post saying if that sounded right or not. Red peppers for me right now are not an option as the local stores don't have any. My girls have had yellow before and liked it but right now all I can find is green.

I don't really know if you can "overfeed" a piggie with too many veggies. Mine eat what they want when I give it to them and about an hour or so later they go back and finish it off.

I asked about baby carrots/carrots over at GL a couple days ago and the concensus seems to be that you should only feed carrot in moderation and not on a daily basis. More like a once or twice a week due to the high Vitamin A content. They also advised about spinach and oxalates and how too much spinach can cause bladder sludge and stones. I already knew that, but I thought I would pass it on to you all (mainly for those that don't know) so those of you who are giving spinach daily or every other day might want to cut back to once or twice a week on the spinach and just give small amounts when you do give it.

i never new about feeding peppers and that it is good for them so they very rarely got any, when they do get it they wont eat it for about an hour or so but they will eat everything else.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.