Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Recycling?

NoCableIsSafe

Cavy Slave
In Scotland we have been introduced to a new recycling scheme where paper, bottles etc must be put in the blue bin. Garden waste in the brown bin, everything else in a green bin and glass in a black bin. Animal waste can not go into the brown bin. If you put something in the wrong bin or what you put in the blue bin is dirty then they'll refuse to lift your bins.

Because of the amont of people living in my house (and because the green bin is taken away every two/three weeks) then this means that by the end of the week our green bin is bulging with household waste and guinea pig litter.

Guinea pig litter from numerous clean outs (yes, there cage is too small - BUT! Before you start let me inform you that I have cubes coming from America to make them a large cage instead) Clean out of two cages about every 2days plus heaps of newspaper during floor time.

My question is : How can I reduce the load of hay, newspaper and more hay which is going into the bin which doesn't involve me bedding them on fleece (fleece bedding just doesn't seem right to me. I like my bedding of hay with a guinea pig in it)

You could spot clean more often, that will reduce the amount of total cleanings you have to do. Also, during floor time, why not put them down in a tiled area so that you don't have to put newspaper down?
Hope I helped a little bit.

Hmmm... spot cleaning is a good idea. You can try fleece bedding for a bit, or you can use a biodegradable bedding and let it compost if you garden. Use towels for floor time instead of newspaper. Hope this helps!

Thank you. This means I'll have to buy towels especially for my guineapigs since mum doesn't like me using the "good towels" and normally it's only the "good towels" which are left after I've gone through the older ones.

Ok, glad that this helped you a bit! =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.