Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Recent loss - what to do about the remainding piggy

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
My Girl just died leaving Nike alone. I heard pigs could get affected by the loss of a cage mate. Is there anything i should look out for? Anything i should do for Nike? I plan on getting another piggy for her (though feel guilty for getting another - like im ignoring the loss of Girl in a way, or that im replacing her). Is there a reason to wait before adopting?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Pigs who lose their cagemates can become depressed, depending how long they lived together and how strong their bond was. She may stop eating, she may have a lack in interest in things, she may sleep more. If she stops eating, take her to the vet, or get her another cagemate as soon as possible. If you decide to take her to the vet, they might recommend syringe feeding her mushed up pellets or Critical Care. Not sure what else they'd give you. The sooner you get her another friend the better. Don't wait and see if she'll be effected. Look at all the possible shelters and rescues. I know it may seem like getting another pig means you're "betraying" Girl, but you're doing what's best for Nike, who is fortunately still with you. Girl will always be in your heart, I'm sure. It sounds like you cared about her and loved her a lot, and I'm sure she knew that :) The new piggie won't be a replacement of Girl; she/he will only be a new friend for Nike and a new beginning for you.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
The new piggie won't be a replacement of Girl; she/he will only be a new friend for Nike and a new beginning for you.

Well said, @CavyTV. Nike just knows that her friend is gone and she could well become depressed. I know that it seems like you should wait a while to honor Girl's memory, but that's not putting Nike's needs ahead of your own. No, no cavy will ever replace Girl, but there is another piggy out there who needs your love and Nike needs her.

After my beloved Chester died, I was looking for cavies and I'll swear I could here him say, "Over here, Mom. Take this one". That lead me to the two boys I now have, and one of which is everything I loved about Chester.....and more.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
After Poopy died, Sly also became withdrawn and sullen. When I got my two new baby boys, he was like a surrogate father to them . Absolutely consider getting a friend for the remaining pig, but please do everything you can to make sure they're compatible. Two happy pigs together are far better than two sad lonely pigs who don't like each other.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Pigs who lose their cagemates can become depressed, depending how long they lived together and how strong their bond was. She may stop eating, she may have a lack in interest in things, she may sleep more. If she stops eating, take her to the vet, or get her another cagemate as soon as possible. If you decide to take her to the vet, they might recommend syringe feeding her mushed up pellets or Critical Care. Not sure what else they'd give you. The sooner you get her another friend the better. Don't wait and see if she'll be effected. Look at all the possible shelters and rescues. I know it may seem like getting another pig means you're "betraying" Girl, but you're doing what's best for Nike, who is fortunately still with you. Girl will always be in your heart, I'm sure. It sounds like you cared about her and loved her a lot, and I'm sure she knew that :) The new piggie won't be a replacement of Girl; she/he will only be a new friend for Nike and a new beginning for you.

Wow. That was both insightful and comforting thanks TV. Helps me to not see it as betrayal (silly as it may seem). Ive already started looking for local adoption centers. I also sent messages to people who may have leads on finding a cage mate.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Well said, @CavyTV. Nike just knows that her friend is gone and she could well become depressed. I know that it seems like you should wait a while to honor Girl's memory, but that's not putting Nike's needs ahead of your own. No, no cavy will ever replace Girl, but there is another piggy out there who needs your love and Nike needs her.

After my beloved Chester died, I was looking for cavies and I'll swear I could here him say, "Over here, Mom. Take this one". That lead me to the two boys I now have, and one of which is everything I loved about Chester.....and more.

Thanks spy. I needed that.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
After Poopy died, Sly also became withdrawn and sullen. When I got my two new baby boys, he was like a surrogate father to them . Absolutely consider getting a friend for the remaining pig, but please do everything you can to make sure they're compatible. Two happy pigs together are far better than two sad lonely pigs who don't like each other.

I understand. Question though, i thought (researched) that all pigs are compatible. You just need them to get over whos the leader and then everything else falls into place . You have a different experience?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I understand. Question though, i thought (researched) that all pigs are compatible. You just need them to get over whos the leader and then everything else falls into place . You have a different experience?

Not all pigs are compatible AT ALL. You can have two pigs who are dominant and the fighting will never end. I got my baby boys and Sly looked after them amazingly until Punkin hit puberty. Sly was the big boss pig and Punkin wanted to be, so there was fighting to the point that due to Sly's age and difficulty seeing, he was getting hurt AND hurting himself running into things. He's by himself now, but he has access to the "kids", Punkin just can't hurt him any more.

If you can find a rescue that does a "meet and greet" that would be the best way for Nike to pick her own friend. They'd both be much happier.

I completely agree with CavyTV and with spy9doc. Losing Poopy really did hit me hard and in no way shape or form am I over it, and likely never will be. But those babies came home with me 8 days after Pooper passed away, not for me but for Sly. He needed buddies, and his needs had to outweigh my grief.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Thanks gpp. Ill prioritize for meet and greet rescues then. And yeh, thats my thought process as well. It hurts but she needs a cagemate.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
What do u guys think about contacting local vets for possible pig adoptions? Do they charge anything? Do they even have adoptions by vets?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've never heard of vets doing adoptions, but that said doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In my opinion you're more likely to get names of local rescues from a vet than an actual pig.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Either works for me. Though the situation/planning stage has gotten a bit more serious. Nike seems to be eating less (ill way her soon) and more to the point shes far less interested/motivated to eat veggies (her "grip" (how hard she bites and pulls) on food im holding is much weaker. Perhaps 1/4 or 1/3 of what it was. Seriously considering buying a pig from the local petstore.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nike definitely needs to be weighed regularly, as this is the primary indicator of how well a pig is doing. My boys get weighed every Sunday morning, before they get any treats or anything, so it's usually early. It sounds like she's depressed and lonely after losing Girl.

Onlyinred

Cavy Slave
Yeh GPP. Im weighing her daily now. Not always at the same time though , so that adds an extra variable in assesing her weight loss if any.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.